Why are these pearls so cheap? What’s wrong with them?

LadyBlueBird

So I’m looking to purchase a Graduated pearl necklace. I reached out to Pearl Paradise for a commission piece. I received a quote of 2000-5000. However, I came across American Pearls for this listing.
https://www.americanpearl.com/galler...yABEgIk8_D_BwE
I’m wondering why these are so much cheaper. I understand there freshwater, but still, the price is so much lower.

Well, they are freshwater and not Akoya, finally: the pearls near the back are quite small at 3.5 mm...I am sure that the Akoya necklace does not have pearls that small!
Pearls attain a greater value with size, amongst other traits, so many of those small pearls are far less valuable.

I would purchase the necklace I liked the most :veryhappy:

LadyBirdBlue, If you look at the necklace there is ONE 9.5mm pearl in the front and instead of graduating down from there they instantly go down to maybe a 6mm? then down from there. (the information doesn't say) Also the American pearl strand doesn't have perfectly round pearls especially around the back where you see a front on view. This leads me to think the others you have no clear side view are off round too. Everyone grades their pearls with no clear guidelines but if this is how American Pearl grade their AAA pearls I would look at another seller to see what comparable AAA freshwater pearl strands look like. 9.5mm down perhaps at Pearl Paradise to use as a comparable.

Excellent suggestion lilliefuzzysocks :yup:

Again, that FW pearl necklace and a PP Akoya necklace...pears and apples to me! If they had the same sized pearls, same grade, same shape, same length...same ALL, then it is a clear and direct comparison.

So, for the sake a better comparison let me use this necklace:
7.5-8.0 mm 16 Inch AAA White Freshwater Pearl Necklace (pearlparadise.com)

Same length, same pearl type, overall larger pearls (not the central one which is larger on the American Pearl site), same grade (up for discussion, of course) and you have to pay $275 dollars vs $265... I would say this last pearl necklace is cheaper (by $10 dollars) because you are getting more, but it really comes down to you to say the last word.

Now, if I were to compare this second necklace with an equal Akoya necklace (same traits), such as this one:
White Japanese Akoya Pearl Necklace | 7.5-8.0 mm 16 Inches | AAA (pearlparadise.com)

You will be paying $1,815 which is quite a difference from the freshwater pearl necklaces...again these are Akoya, smaller production, "brand name", perfectly round, "classic", etc...you pay more for these things. If it were a Cortez Pearl necklace (same traits, except colors of course) you would probably pay up to $8,000 dollars and this would be a fair price.

Back