Why are so many Chinese ebay pearl sellers big fat liars?

Sea Urchin

I just chewed yet another one out for whining and begging sellers not to leave them any negative feedback at the same time they fraudently listed "south sea" pearls for sale (bad mood today I guess, haha).

Do they think we're all stupid?

They have given their country such a bad name with all that that many people probably won't even look at any listings from China. Then again, it seems people would do what works, and I am not a pearl seller, so what's the deal? It works?

Last edited:
Its a sad state of affairs but I don't see it ending anytime soon. If Ebay doesn't get a handle on this type of stuff then they'll start to loose market share I'm sure.

That's exactly my thought, Amrita. I would think so much of it is repeat business. When someone believes, or even worse, tells others, that they have akoya or south sea pearls (or real gold when it's gold-plated, or whatever) and then finds out otherwise, that makes them feel like a fool. That would make me mad, no matter how pleased I was with the item and the price I paid. I can't imagine they'd buy from such a seller again.

That's exactly my thought, Amrita. I would think so much of it is repeat business. When someone believes, or even worse, tells others, that they have akoya or south sea pearls (or real gold when it's gold-plated, or whatever) and then finds out otherwise, that makes them feel like a fool. That would make me mad, no matter how pleased I was with the item and the price I paid. I can't imagine they'd buy from such a seller again.

Exactly...........

If I may, the absence of knowledge is one of the culprit in this general disinformation, this thread is similar as the thread posted by Caitlin here (link). Chinese pearls may suffer from their own lack of traceability. I have seen sellers in the Philippines convinced that what they sold were Fresh water pearls from Palawan, again having never set foot in Palawan little did they know that what they sold never originated from Palawan. Their lack of concern (this-is-just-a-job type of attitude) and their lack of interest in what they sell resulted in them believing in their tale, once one even showed me a map of Palawan as to reinforce his argument...
As for those Chinese versed into pearl production, if their goal is perennial then they would ensure that information and traceability are available.

Last edited:
Have been looking at many Chinese pearl sellers lately...found a strange shill type pattern happening...let me explain. If you see a seller that has under 100 feedbacks...READ the feedback and click on the items sold. I found seven new ids selling 20 cent photos to each other then leaving feedback for each other. When they have amassed a decent number of good reviews they then start selling pearls...probably again (new id) and you don't see them sell pictures anymore. If you want names, I have way too much time on my hands, I can post them. This is what led to the fall of beanie prices...honestly! All those fakes flooded the market.

Found a seller through Google Search named JIY Market. Prices were not rock bottom. Seemed to use the A, AA, etc. Classes sparingly which gave the appearance of being honest. Has anyone ever bought from them. Was looking at a SS Gold single...no drilled whole. I do love raw gemstones. I keep all my rough opals in my fish tank. The cost for the 10-11mm was $249 for one pearl in beautiful shades, couple dimples that I could see. Is this a place to be trusted?

Thanks to all in advance for the help.
Barbara

WWW.PJYMARKET.com I found them through Google Search. I don't think they are on eBay. I clicked on "high quality" or "best quality" and then beads and singles.

Thank you for any help.
Barbara

Click on pg 3 at bottom and you will see several gold singles. Thx again.

Not with a very long barge pole - used to be a bit reasonable a few years ago, but now not remotely reliable. Will sling any old thing into the box just to ship something.

I read today that few SS and Tahitians are sold through China...so am Leary. Thanks for your time.

when Mike started out, py wasn't too bad for basic potatoes etc but since it has grown it has deteriorated totally - really bad pearls, and often a parcel stuffed with stuff not ordered, just any old whatever is around shoved in.
Since there is still a notice about last Christmas on the website I'm wondering if the whole thing is finally fading.

Many thanks to Perlinda and Wendy. Yes, that was my jaw hitting the table. They are low, but not absurdly low on pricing like many sellers on eBay so I thought, maybe, they're okay. Tried to search forum on my own but, too many hits and never saw their name mentioned. Again, Ty Ty Ty.

Barbara

I want to thank you. I will be looking them up.
Please have a wonderful day.
Barbara

Back