Which necklace to keep?

orb0554

I am new to pearls, I just purchased these and would like your opinion on which one to keep. These are for my GF and will most likely upgrade quality and size in a year or so.

I selected AA+ Akoras in 7.0-7.5 mm range for this 18" necklace.

I did notice some of the pearls seem to have a dimple, is this normal in this quality?

Thank you for your input, Oscar

DSC03691.JPG

DSC03693.JPG

DSC03694.JPG

Hi Oscar,

Could you possibly retake the photos on a white paper towel? I think in the top photo shows that the bottom strand has the better luster and most distinct reflection. Yes, a few blemishes would be expected. Since there is no standard grade, refer to the website for an explanation of the company's grading system. The orange cloth seems to be masking any overtones. Both strands seem to be well matched overall for size and color. Lucky Lady! Few of us would object to a wardrobe of pearls!

Last edited:
I agree with Pattye on the superior luster appearing to be in the bottom strand. That one would be my choice. The dimples are to be expected, as she said - from quick appearances here they don't detract. In general, with higher luster, minor inclusions like that do not detract from the beauty of the strand. If you can repost with a photo on white paper, we will be able to tell if there are subtle differences in the overtones. Even without that, these are lovely - great gift selection on your part!

I think in the top photo shows that the bottom strand has the better luster and most distinct reflection

That's what grabbed me when I looked at the top photo, the bottom strand seems to the nicer piece. Its hard to see any imperfections in those pictures but you should expect some with a AA or AA+ grade.

If we can't notice them from those pictures, more then likely nobody will notice them while your GF is wearing them. If they do notice them they are standing too close! :p

I've noticed in photos that the placement of the strand relative to the camera may make one strand look more lustrous than the other when it isn't really. Swap the position of the strands and photograph again; if the same strand still looks more lustrous, then at least you'll know it wasn't just a trick of the camera.

Swap the position of the strands and photograph again

Good tip for photographing pearls, light does play a big part oh how they will display. But don't choose based on a picture, assuming you have these in your possession then base it on how they look in person. Take a look at them in various lighting, natural diffused light is usually considered the best.

Thank you for all the responses. I have reversed the position of the necklace on these photos. The same necklace in the reverse position still shows the superior luster over the other strand.

Yesterday, I happened to be in a jewelry store dropping off my watch and noticed the pearl necklaces in display. I inquired on one that caught my attention as it turned out it was a Mikimoto that someone had traded. I was told that it was the most expensive in the display. Seems all the great information that I have been reading here is helping me pearl selection.

DSC03696.JPG

DSC03705.JPG

DSC03706.JPG

DSC03707.JPG

There certainly is better luster in that necklace than in the other. And with pearls, it's all about luster.

Back