which Akoya pearl overtone?

evinz

I'm thinking about getting some hanadama Akoya pearl studs from The Pearl Source, but am having trouble choosing an overtone (white, ivory, or rose).

Their website has a video about overtones that makes the rose look really pink (too pink) and the ivory like a happy medium between rose and white.

But then I'm reading online that ivory is best for warmer skin tones. I'm Caucasian with fair skin that has a lot of pink in it, light brown hair, and I can only wear cool colors (pinks, greens, blues, purples). A Summer if you subscribe to the color seasons theory. I can't wear yellow or orange or anything autumn-toned. Do you think I should still get the ivory? I'm torn between all three overtones. Thanks so much for your advice if you have any!

Last edited:
I would not get the ivory. I'd get white.
I'm a "winter" and my daughter is a "summer" so I do understand the colors tone preferences.

Thank you! How about white vs rose? I think rose overtones look good on me, based on another necklace I have. But I worry they will be too pink to go with everything.

Really I have no problem with the white, I just want to make sure I get this choice right because after this im never buying pearls again lol. BAN ISLAND

Seems like with your description of yourself and your preferences, you would prefer the rose overtones. Pinked Akoya do not look like pink pearls when they are on your ears. Depending on how pinked they are, you will see the pink overtones, but they will still look like white pearls when wearing them.

I’m a winter colour palette as well (fair). And I have both pink and white pearls but in different styles. contrast is also important in your personal colour analysis. I find that white pearls suit my preference for high contrast clothing (navy, white, black) for when I want to dress up. My rose overtone akoya is a 6mm 80cm strand that makes the “Long Pearl” look more casual. When I asked a Japanese sales assistant at a Pearl store for advice on how to choose between white vs. rose overtone, her response (translated) was a choice between “classic vs. sweet”.

These GIA certified Hanadama studs from Pearl Paradise have a pink (rose) overtone, but they do not look pink. Against my skin they look white.

GIA certified Hanadama stud ear shot indoors small photo.jpeg

I am thinking that you will want the pearls to pop. If it is possible for you to either buy both and return the pair that doesn't or try pearls someplace else, that would be the best. I have fair skin with a reddish tone to it and white pearls have more contrast so they show up more clearly rather than ivory or pinkish that match my skin.

These baroque akoyas from PP have a pink overtone but still appear white on my skin, which has pink undertones.

(However, freshwater pearls with a pink overtone don't stand out so well against my skin, and I think maybe it's because FWP tend to be a warmer white color. The combination of warm white and rose overtones seems to not work so well for me.)

baroque akoyas from PP small.jpeg

In the box you can see the various shades of white of pinked baroque akoyas (top), cool white SSP, and metallic white FWP.

pinked baroque akoyas next to WSS and metallic white FWP.jpeg

Because we are only talking about studs for you, I'm not so sure it will matter a great deal.

I have a natural white Hanadama rope from PP. It's gorgeous. It lays mostly over clothing, and not next to my skin. But the natural white Hanadama studs didn't suit me, so I got the pinked (rose tone) Hanadama studs for my ears. Nobody can tell the pearls don't match unless I take the earrings out of my ears and lay them right next to the necklace.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the replies and great photos! I did end up buying both and going with the rose overtone for a non-pertinent reason: I got screw backs on the white pair and HATED them. Rather not spend five minutes a day twisting on my ear so that it's bright red like an old-time schoolboy's by the time I get the earring in. So in the end it was an easy decision.

As far as the actual color, I loved both. The white pair was very classic and striking, as well as higher-contrast with my coloring. They definitely seemed more formal than the rose. White hanadamas are still on my wish list, but it could be awhile due to budgetary concerns.

The rose pair seems to melt into my skin in a way that I also love. They feel like part of me and I hate to take them off at the end of the day!

Pic is the rose hanadama earrings with PP freshadama necklace (also rose overtoned) and blue mabé pearl pendant. (it's not blurry when you click on it, I don't know what's up)

Attachments

• IMG_7302.jpeg
    IMG_7302.jpeg
    498 KB · Views: 62
Beautiful!

Thank you! How about white vs rose? I think rose overtones look good on me, based on another necklace I have. But I worry they will be too pink to go with everything.

Really I have no problem with the white, I just want to make sure I get this choice right because after this im never buying pearls again lol. BAN ISLAND
LOL. Read this whole thread and "BAN ISLAND" is still cracking me up minutes later.

I think we all know about ban island...

This thread continues! Thanks to the current 20% off sale (and redeeming my points!) I was able to order a pair of natural white hanadama earrings from Pearl Paradise. I think there's going to be a big color difference between this pair and the rosé hanadamas, and I can see the natural whites being more for formal occasions. I'll post pics when I get them so you can see the color difference.

Congratulations! Enjoy wearing your new earrings. Here’s a color comparison of some of my studs, but I don’t think of any as being more formal over the other. I’m not one to have any rules for pearl wearing.:giggle:
White SS- natural white Akoya- pinked Akoya (all from Takahashi)
IMG_3631.jpeg
IMG_3636.jpeg

Last edited:
Congratulations! Enjoy wearing your new earrings. Here’s a color comparison of some of my studs, but I don’t think of any as being more formal over the other. I’m not one to have any rules for pearl wearing.:giggle:
White SS- natural white Akoya- pinked Akoya (all from Takahashi)
View attachment 468966View attachment 468972
Love them all!

Back