Where do I buy loose pearls to design with?

morganchelsey

Hi all,

Sorry for what might be a stupid question but I'm new here. I used to be (well, okay, maybe I still am) super obsessed with diamonds but something in my brain has shifted and now I'm all about pearls. My biggest joy in life is making jewelry and so, naturally, I'd rather make my own pieces than buy something that's already made. (That being said there's some crazy gorgeous stuff out there!) That leads me to my question: where can I buy relatively nice quality pearls? I don't need top of the line anything, but I want to make things that will have lasting beauty. In particular I love metallic freshwater pearls, souffle pearls, edison pearls, all kinds of keishi and baroque pearls... the list goes on. Really, I guess I just like all pearls;)

Should I be looking on eBay or Etsy? Or are there specific etailers that sell loose pearls and strands? I really appreciate any help you guys can give me!

There are several people from this forum who operate on line stores _ I'll name a few of the very established long time sellers that pop into my mind straight away.
Etsy - PatriciaSaabDesigns - Patty has jewellery, strands and Beaders Secret thread that many of us use.
Online stores that sell strands - Wendy - Pearlescense (watch your spelling there is another mother and daughter company that has very similar name and I don't know them.. )
Amrita - Harmony Pearls
Sarah - Kojima pearls
Josh - Kamoka Pearls - Tahitians only
Lots of other sellers but I'm not sure as to whether they sell loose pearls or strands so I've only listed the ones I'm sure of.. but it gives you a start. I'm sure there are tons of people that I've forgotten about .. apologises to them !

Pearl Paradise, Pearl Perfection (Nerida of Pearl-guide.com), Mauna Kea Moonlight (Waimeamomi of Pearl-guide.com).

If you browse through the threads on the Forum, you will also come across eBay sellers people here like. But we don't make recommendation lists so you have to do a bit of digging.

- Karin

Call or write and most sellers will accommodate special requests. :)

On eBay Augustus-Collection and Druzydesign both sell small quantities from singles to groups of 5-6 pearls and both carry some of the slightly more exotic colors and shapes. You can find Kasumi,Edison, Tahitian, South Seas at prices that are fair and would still allow you to price your finished piece within reach. Augustus also sells stunning vermeil findings. Both are sellers that you can trust to accurately describe their pearls and get it right. That makes them a rarity on eBay.

pearllunar and lilei1971 are two ebay sellers who people here (including me) have had good experiences with. they both specialize in FWP of various sorts, not so much with quality findings or saltwater pearls (akoya, tahitian, south sea).

eta: especially lilei 1971 will carry pearls in a range of grades, so keep an eye on the grade of pearl (A, AA, AA+, AAA+++, etc.) that you are purchasing. that said, they're a good shop to buy some pretty, although not 100% perfect, strands for practicing your stringing on, even strands of less than perfect chinese ripple or crazy keshi pearls! fun, fun pearls for not too much.

**the grading any individual seller uses will generally be comparable only to other items they are selling. AAA FWP from Agustus Collection are going to be FAR superior to those from Pearllunar, and Pearllunar's AAA are generally superior to lilei1971's. although not always. lilei's AAA will always be close to their best, while their A+ will be not the best. etc.

Last edited:
Back