What type of pearls do i have?

Jennifer712

I inherited a pearl necklace, bracelet and eating set from a very dear friend's grandmother.
I'm curious as how to find out what kind of pearls they are.
I can post photos, however they're green and golden, I'm pretty sure freshwater Tahitian pearls. How do I tell?

Hi Jennifer! And welcome to our pearl lovin' forum!
Why don't you share some photos with us?

Happy Thanksgiving!

There isn't such a thing as 'freshwater Tahitian' pearls. Tahiti pearls are saltwater pearls. If you post some photos it is likely we can tell you some more. A way to start your own reserach is to browse some of the website of the vendors that post here, like Pearl Paradise. They usually have good pictures that you can compare with your own pearls. For details, though, you can post photos here :)

South Sea Pearls: These are large, luxurious pearls that the Pinctada maxima oyster in the South Pacific produces. They come in various colors, including white, silver, and golden.
These are also known as black pearls, although they actually come in a range of dark colors, including black, grey, and green. The Pinctada margaritifera oyster in French Polynesia produces them.

South Sea Pearls: These are large, luxurious pearls that the Pinctada maxima oyster in the South Pacific produces. They come in various colors, including white, silver, and golden.
These are also known as black pearls, although they actually come in a range of dark colors, including black, grey, and green. The Pinctada margaritifera oyster in French Polynesia produces them.
This is not how we know them today. That info seems to be taken from a Jewelry store pamphlet from the early 1990's: SSP are not known as black pearls.

Back