What type of pearls do I have

silvershell37

My grandmother had a bag of pearls. They appeared to be in the "works" of being restrung. I came across this 31in. green in color strand. The clasp appears to be older. I do see flaws and not so much a round shape. I'm not sure what kind or origin they are from. I've never really seen green pearls before. Any info would be great.
PS. I'll be posting the other pearls behind this post.

Thanks
silvershell37 Green 1.jpgGreen2.jpggreen 3.jpggreen 4.jpggreen 5.jpg

2nd set of pearls I have. These obviously are not of higher quality. Looks like someone was in the process of restringing these. I've not come across button purple pearls. Would like to know the name, origin etc. about them. Would it even be worth it to restring?

Thanks
silvershell37purple 1.jpgpurple 2.jpgpurple 2.jpgPurple 3.jpgPurple 4.jpg

3rd set of pearls. These are a 16 in strand. Someone was in the process of restringing them, no clasp. Appears to be a real tight stringing. (will have to be redone). I was curious if these are Tahitian pearls. They appear to be a black/green color. I see a few flaws. Not perfectly symmetrical. Any information on them would be great. I plan to restring and wear them.

Thanks
silvershell37black 1.jpgblack 2.jpgblack 3.jpgblack 4.jpg

Another strand. This one is also 16in. I believe it is Tahitian but unsure. It appears to be black/brown in color. Someone was in the process of restringing these as well. Would like to know more about them.

Thanks
Silvershell37black1.jpgblack1.jpgblack 2.jpgblack 3.jpgblack 4.jpg

The top strand shapes look to me like lower quality Tahitians; the rest are dyed freshwater pearls. Unless you love the purple dyed fwp, I would not bother restringing them.

Back to the top strand: I do have some dyed FWP that have Tahitian-like shapes, so I'm not 100% sure. What size are they?

They all look like dyed freshwater pearls to me. The purple ones are called coin pearls because they have a flat disk in the center to give them that shape, as opposed to a round bead. However many freshwater pearls don't have anything in the center, and so are button or egg or potato shaped, or flat on one side. The surface texture on the purple coin pearls is not good. Good coin pearls should look like good pearls, just coin shaped.

The top strand looks a bit like baroque Tahitians in shape, but the color is completely off. The color looks like dyed freshwater pearls to me. I really don't know what to make of the first strand.

I don't think any of these pearls are worth much money, so only restring them if you like them and want to wear them.

Agree with BW. They all look like dyed Chinese freshwater pearls to me.

Silvershell, Welcome! Interesting collection of pearls. Thank you for sharing! I agree with Pearl Dreams, these are dyed freshwater pearls from China, not highly valuable but having great sentimental value. After looking as closely as possible at the first green-gray strand, probably they are dyed freshwater pearls also. The flat purple pearls are called coin pearls. Any of these strands can be restrung and worn very nicely. Many of us mix in various gemstones or metal beads as accents. Restringing them yourself is a great idea!

So, they are large. I think they are dyed freshwaters. The first entire pearl from the top in post #9 in particular looks dyed.

Back