What type of camera do you use?

battah

For pearl shots? I've been going back and forth between my kind of old Canon EOS Rebel XS (using both a 50mm/1.8 lens and a 18-55mm lens) and my old Canon point-and-shoot. And I still can't capture some of the colors in certain pearls (esp pondslime). What camera do you use, and do you feel like it does a good job photographing pearls?

Edited to correct my lens descriptions - I use a 50mm and an 18-55mm.

Last edited:
sigma 17 / 70 macro lens with canon eos 550d works quite good for me

Thanks! So do you find a macro lens is worth it? I got a macro tube to use with my 50mm but the depth of focus got to be so shallow that it didn't really do me much good for photographing anything but an individual pearl. That may have been user error though.

I should add that my Canon point-and-shoot is a Power Shot.

Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM

mine is not even a full macro lens its called macro but it still makes it smaller and not 100 % macro anyhow yes this lens for me is the first one i can focus with up close and because the distance from lens to object ( jewellery ) is only 17 cm its perfect for a not to expensive model

whats i also do is i make a picture or my photographer and then its send to misterclipingpath . com and they photoshop it so when you make a photo of a necklace you make 5 pictures with different point of focus and then they can photoshop those in one so everything is clear

this picture is a single shot with bad light and shows how sharp the front will get on one focus point

IMG_2279.jpg

and these ones different focus points added together and went true some make up :p

2013diamantkaartvoorkant.jpg

pearlringsdanielmoeskerjewellery.jpgringencombinatie.jpg

Attachments

• avaikidaan2.jpg
    avaikidaan2.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Thanks for the info! DMJ, I hadn't heard of that website, I'll check it out. Is it similar to HDR post-processing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gorgeous rings, jmj!

I use an autofocus camera that I bought years ago-- Olympus Stylus 800.

I haven't used my Canon AT-1 since our daughter was born... with all the lenses it was too much to lug around, and as shutter and aperture adjustments were solely manual with this model, it was too slow to capture a baby's fleeting smile. But I do plan to get some film and play around with it again, one of these days....

I always love seeing your photos, Daniel. Breathtaking!

I prefer to use a point and shoot, lol. My current camera is an Olympus SZ-30MR and I seem to do ok. My last camera, which I loved, was a Kodak Easy Share. Learning to use macro settings, natural diffused light and proper framing to minimize cropping later go a very looong way for the average home photographer.

Last edited:
Back