What type and what happened to them?

Hello :)
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
​ I have had this strand for 20 years now. I bought them at Macy's in late 1990-early 2000. I have had re-stung 2x now. Worn a lot. 14kt stamped clasp. Pearls measure roughly 6mm, uniform. What type are these and what happened? Looks like nacre chipped or peeled off by drill hole. The ones pictured are worse, but others show similar but more minor damage by hole. Is this something that will naturally happen with re-stringing frequently? Like, should I not try to replace bad ones and just enjoy this while it lasts? Thanks!

Attachments

• photo72734.jpg
    photo72734.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 66
  • photo72735.jpg
    photo72735.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 60
  • photo72736.jpg
    photo72736.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 60
  • photo72737.jpg
    photo72737.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 57
  • photo72738.jpg
    photo72738.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 55
  • photo72739.jpg
    photo72739.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 60
Hi there Appalachianmama
The pearls look very much like Akoya to me...maybe Chinese Akoya.
The nacre did chip there...not that uncommon with thinly coated Akoya or those with certain sub-surface defects (protein pockets, gas bubbles, others).
Re-stringing -if done properly- should never be a problem, as many of our members may attest, because they are constantly stringing and restringing pearls to their liking and creative juices.

You may remove the ones with major issues...or you may leave them there. I believe you should be the one to decide by asking yourself: "What vibe do I get from these chipped pearls"?

Thank you! If I wanted to buy some loose ones to replace the damaged ones, do you know who sells them?

Many places sell loose pearls...will depend on what you are looking for. Let's wait and see if some of our other members can offer some advice :)

It's really hard to make a perfect match in terms of size and exact color. If I was you, i would consider buying a new strand (try look at some of the online vendors posting here) and then learn to string and make a bracelet of the left-over pearls.

That is an excellent suggestion KarinK And here on the forum we have wonderful people that have posted their knowledge on how to thread necklaces, make jewelry, unset pearls....the sky is the limit!:arms:

KarinK that is a good idea-is there a list of vendors? I looked in the consumer section and did not see one. Thanks!

We don't have a list of vendors since this site is totally free from sponsorship, advertising, etc.
But members are FREE to offer their advice on the vendors they have used and rely upon for their pearly needs.
Also: if you let us know where you are located it will be easier to offer advice: no sense in offering advice for France when you are in Canada.

Any other thing you are looking for -a special kind of pearl, a budget, etc- is also good to know, allows us to help you better

Members who also sell pearls usually have a link in their signature.

Back