What size collapsible needles and thread for . . .

Bluebyrd

What size collapsible needle and thread for 4x6 mm rice pearls? Those will also have 3 mms round silver beads with them. Then for 6 mms round pearls? Also, if stringing cream colored pearls, do you get cream colored thread? Thanks.

Hi Bluebyrd,
Fine collapsible eye needles should work for what you have described.

Matching the color of the thread to the pearls is always a great idea. :) If in doubt about the specific color that will match my particular strand of pearls, I sometimes buy several shades that are close. Thread is inexpensive and a little goes a long way.

Thank you so much, PD!

What size thread for the 4x6 rice and the 6 mm rounds? Is there any certain brand people prefer?

My preference is Serafil or Beaders Secret, a synthetic thread that is silky-feeling, doesn't readily stretch as silk does, and comes in many colors and 3 sizes/thicknesses. It's easy to work with. Knots slide easily into place, and mistakenly-placed knots can be unpicked. I find the medium thickness is good for most of my knotting.
Sources -- both vendors are trusted Pearl-Guide members:

In the USA: https://www.etsy.com/shop/PatriciaSa...gallery&page=1
and
In Australia: https://www.etsy.com/shop/BeadersSecret

There are stringing tutorials on this forum if you need any help learning to knot. :)

Last edited:
The size of the thread will depend on the size of the drill hole. I would steer away from the larger sized thread as it may be a tad too thick making the knots too large. I would start with the middle size. I think Pattye still offers a beginners stringing kit with everything you will need! She even sells orbit clasps, which I know many of the ladies here prefer. Oh, and I love the large eye needles she sells, they work with any size drill hole and thread. ETA: as far as thread colors go, you can really get creative with white pearls! If you like a pop of color on a strand, or one that picks up overtones she has some lovely pastels. You can also go bold with a red or blue, or subtle with an ivory or cream.

I often use a battery operated pearl reamer to make small holes a bit larger so the thread can go through. I have used the reamer on very small rice pearls (smaller than yours) and it works perfectly. The size of the thread also depends on the size of the pearls. Smaller pearls usually look better with knots made with the lighter weight thread. I agree about Pattye's supplies. Her starter kit is absolutely excellent. It's an ideal way to stock up on the essentials. Also the knotting guides here are an excellent source. I also watched numerous youtube video's demonstrating pearl knotting until I got the knack of it. Good luck. It's fun!

Back