What kinds of freshwater did we have around 1978, 1982?

KarinK

First of all, I promise to post pictures tomorrow!

Going over my old earrings now Ida, my daughter, got her ears pierced I'm a little puzzled about two pairs of pearl posts.

They look very similar, soft baroque buttons, app. 5 mm. One pair is white, the other grey. I remember buying a pair similar to the white ones in the late 70'ies while I was still barely a teenager. I lost one and bought a new pair on my first visit to San Francisco in 1982. I purchased the grey ones app. 1978.

I never considered them to be other than freshwater but I'm suddenly wondering exactly what kind of freshwater. I remember the rice crispies being the rage in the early/mid 80'ies so I was wondering if my two pair could be Biwa pearls? In fact, I'm wondering if they can be anything else (in which case Ida is not getting them at this point).

Funny how I thought my interest in pearls was a new thing :) When I get these photographed I guess I should post them in the htread about our first pearls.

- Karin

Hi Karin,

They could be either Chinese or Japanese, actually. But it would be difficult to be certain. During the 1970's, nearly everything grown in China was sold through Japan and sold as "product of Japan" until the end of the decade. I believe that by the time buyers were going directly to the Chinese producers, Chinese production made up more than half of Japan's freshwater output.

If the pearls were from '82, it could even compound the issue. At that point, the Chinese had started using a hybrid of the Cristaria plicata (responsible for Rice Krispie shapes) and the Hyriposis cumingii, growing more pearls with a smoother surface.

Either way the pearls are a rare find.

I remember the white ones from 1982 having the same appearance as the white pair I bought around 1978. I don't remember the price of them but the grey ones were app. $60 (silver posts) - a small fortune for me at age 14 and I saved for three months because I wanted them so badly.

Right now I'm just curious because they have resurfaced - plus if they are not your basic avarage freshwater but something like Biwa, I won't just throw them in the stash for a 10 year old.

Pictures coming up tomorrow - promise...

- Karin

Only one day later than promised I have here some photos of my old freshwater pearls. Any thoughts?

attachment.php

attachment.php

- Karin

They are very pretty. I can see why you saved up for the gray ones - they could be Biwa pearls. I would start wearing them again. I had many pairs like this where one earring worked its way off the post and I had to get a new pair. :)

They are both very pretty. I agree, they should be worn. I bet they are comfy to wear. I prefer button shaped when wearing studs.

Back