What kind of pearls do I have?

greenranger

Hello,

I found some old pearls that used to be belong to my grandpas brother. Before he passed he owned a small jewelry store. I was wondering if you could tell me what kind of pearls these are and maybe if they are worth anything?

The pearls so feel gritty against my tooth. The back of the tag says $625, but that was a while ago. The clasp says 14k on it. The tag says something like 7.79 mm.

IMG_20131010_173557.jpg
IMG_20131010_173613.jpg

Thank you for your help!

Welcome, greenranger,

Judging from the cost, size, luster and age, likely baroque (I think that is what the tag says) Akoya. In the photos here do the pearls look more yellow than they actually are? Could you possibly take a couple more photos on a white paper towel?

Yes, they certainly have the look of baroque akoyas. The photo looks a bit orangey judging from the colors of your fingers. I've edited the color a bit-- is this what they look like to you-- somewhat cream colored?

Attachments

• corrected tone baroque akoyas.jpg
    corrected tone baroque akoyas.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 32
Yes, they certainly have the look of baroque akoyas. The photo looks a bit orangey judging from the colors of your fingers. I've edited the color a bit-- is this what they look like to you-- somewhat cream colored?

Hello there,

Yes, the pictures turned out a little more orange then normal. The color is a lot like a shiny cream.

Hello Greenranger :) I also think these are most likely to be Akoyas. Beautiful find, you have a piece of pearling history there!

Back