What kind of pearls are these???

koi

Hi everyone,

I found out this forum today and it's great. I love the discussions here. You guys are very knowledgeable!!! :D

I would like to know what kind of pearl necklace is this. Personally I think this is a freshwater pearls but I'm not quit sure. Some said it looks like Tahitian pearls because of the colors. This is a 11-12mm necklace. The blemish is not very visible.

I remember I read it somewhere in the book that luster should be your primary focus when judging quality. What do you think about the luster of this necklace?

Can anyone please advice me. Thank you so much.

20130530_185522.jpg20130530_185535.jpg20130530_185622.jpg20130530_185832.jpg20130530_185914.jpg

Koi, Welcome!

Yes, those look like dyed freshwater pearls to me. Really pretty colors and great size, too! I have some that are very similar. Tahitian pearls can look quite a bit like these. There are lots of photos of Tahitian pearls under that thread. The reflections on the pearls are quite distinct, so the luster is good!

Have you had these pearls for a few years? Were they a gift to you? Do you wear them often? Where were they purchased?

thanks, Pattye.
this was a Christmas gift from last year. every time when i wear it people always commenting about the colors. does the color fade off overtime?
white pearls or dyed pearls ~ which should i buy?

Dyed freshwaters don't come prettier than your necklace. Sweet!

What a lovely gift! No one can tell you exactly what will happen to your pearls over time. My pearls that are similar are 8 years old and I don't believe they have changed or faded in any way. I smashed a few with a hammer and the dye goes completely through. (Please don't do this!) I bought a number of strands and there were a few blemished pearls.

Taking good care of your pearls, putting them on last, storing carefully away from other jewelry and most of all keep away from hair spray, perfume and such chemicals, will help them to look their best far into the future! Lots of excellent tips over on that thread about PEARL CARE AND CLEANING, too many to list here.

Learning about the various kinds of pearls by reading here will help you figure out what kinds of pearls you want to purchase for your jewelry wardrobe.

Almost all white freshwater pearls have been through a treatment~bleach, to make them whiter. White akoya have been bleached and then tinted pink. I hope you will hang around and read and ask questions~

Last edited:
Not to hijack, but is there an easy way to tell the difference between Tahitians and dyed freshwater?

Seeing a lot of them helps, but usually, freshwaters have a slightly oblong shape that gives them away instantly. Go browse jewelry stores, but leave your wallet at home until you know what you want.

what is a good investment choice? Tahitian, akayo, SSP?

As pearls do not hold their value for resale, I think it's best to buy pearls to enjoy rather than as an investment.

Price-wise, you can get more for your money by buying freshwaters. However if you want the specific look of akoyas, Tahitians or South Sea Pearls, freshwaters may not satisfy you.

Hi Koi,

They do have good luster. I can understand why people would comment on the colour too :) Is it just the camera or is the shape of some of the pearls slightly 'pototo shaped'? If so, it is an almost certain sign of them being freshwater pearls, and if they are then they are dyed as only Tahitian pearls come in these colours. Considering the size and the luster they would behigher end FW, though.

- Karin

So if a Freshadama strand in a large size was dyed, what would give it away?

Unless I am much mistaken, earring-grade freshwater pearls (like PP's Freshadama pearls) would not be dyed. As I understand it, only lower-quality pearls are dyed, as a way of making them saleable where they would otherwise be unattractive.

From what I've seen of dyed FWP vs. Tahitians, the overtones are different on Tahitians. With Tahitians, the overtones are seen as a circle over the center of the pearl. With dyed round freshwaters, seems like the color is distributed differently.

Thanks Karin,
I took these pics using my cellphone. To my these pearls are round. Maybe it was the angle how I took these pics so that some look like potato shaped.

Unless I am much mistaken, earring-grade freshwater pearls (like PP's Freshadama pearls) would not be dyed. As I understand it, only lower-quality pearls are dyed, as a way of making them saleable where they would otherwise be unattractive.

From what I've seen of dyed FWP vs. Tahitians, the overtones are different on Tahitians. With Tahitians, the overtones are seen as a circle over the center of the pearl. With dyed round freshwaters, seems like the color is distributed differently.

PD, really good explanation of the differences in dyed FWP and Tahitians. In many of my black dyed FWP, the body color is a bluish or purplish black. Tahitian black seems to me more greenish black. (We who have black wardrobes, know how many shades of black there are!)

John Tu has mentioned that he has AA and AAA quality pearls dyed to his specifications, and I imagine other dealers do also. Now that there are more high quality freshwaters available, I suspect more of the better quality pearls are being dyed these days.

Koi, there is one thing to add about the concept of value of pearls. While resale value is of no interest there are tings to be said about your cost pr. pearl when you buy them. Seen from that perspective you get most for your money when you buy freshwater and Tahitians.

- Karin

Back