What kind of pearls are these?

justine

My mother was recently given these as a gift from my 94 year old grandmother. We are not sure if these are actually pearls as my grandmother does not remember anything about them. I have measured the biggest pearl which is 15mm. Any help would be wonderful as we would prefer to keep the necklace in a safe if they are pearls.

Attachments

• Queen Conch
    Queen Conch
    23.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Queen Conch and collection of fine pearls
    Queen Conch and collection of fine pearls
    17.2 KB · Views: 44
    15.4 KB · Views: 44
    33.6 KB · Views: 47
    24 KB · Views: 42
  • pearls6.jpg
    pearls6.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 36
  • pearls7.jpg
    pearls7.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 35
  • pearls8.jpg
    pearls8.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 32
Those seem to be cultured freshwater pearls due to the shapes, which indicate there is no MoP nucleus inside as they are quite off round.. That is a large size for CFW pearls. I think you could buy comparables for around $500, new, for ones that off-round- if you could find them. They are not easy to find that large.

Safes are not good for pearls as they tend to be very dry and pearls like humidity. I would say "wear them"!!! Especially with tee-shirts and jeans, don't just save them for dress up. This kind of pearl is extremely durable and will not wear through no matter how much you wear them. They are tough.

Those are lovely! And extra-special because they were from your grandmother <3

I was going to ask if the gold-embossed square was the presentation case, but is it a jewelers display pad? Wouldn't that be a WOW case?

Thank you for all your replies. They are truly stunning. Thank you Caitlin for letting me know about the safe. I had no idea! My mother said i can wear them as long as they aren't too expensive. I'd love to buy some matching earrings if i can find some! I am so glad my grandmother gave us this piece. She is getting a lot older so i am glad i have something to remember her by :)

You can't wear freshwater pearls out. Just don't put perfume on your skin where the pearls touch it. Those pearls can take anything but perfume which makes pits.

Wipe them with a damp cloth when you take them off, but,

Please only take them off to sleep! Those pearls have a great look!!!

These couldn't be south sea pearls by any chance... right? My grandmother seems to think that they were south sea pearls but i don't think it looks anything like them!

Cultured freshwater pearls can be grown to mimic any other kind of pearl. Those are the size of South Sea pearls and it is a rare size in freshwaters- and some people would assume they are south sea because they are large and white. The same goes with large dyed black pearls. They are assumed to be Tahitian and in fact, many sellers called them "Tahitian black pearls" referring to the color, not where they were grown. They also called the large white ones "South Sea white pearls".

Most people do not know the difference and thus buy a freshwater necklace and think they have something else because they were mislead.

I do not think the pearls were nucleated with a bead. The shapes seem to me to be typical of freshwater pearls. I have been wrong on south seas before, but this time I am fairly sure they are freshwaters.

I have to agree with Caitlin - my wife has a necklace of virtually the exact same shape, colour and size of pearls as are in your picture...and they're absolutely freshwater pearls. I believe that shape is most commonly referred to as "potato" (but I could be wrong)...and they're quite common here in Toronto at a small jewelry stores and department stores.

Back