What is this?

Nicole

Here is someone claiming to offer a "rare" strand of natural pearls. The picture isn't that great, and my eyesight isn't that great, but what it looks like to me are nasty old PPB's with most of the nacre peeled off. The string looks new, though.

Nicole

It looks like shells to me too. The item called an abalone pearl looks like freshwater pearls stuck together.

Nothing rare or natural about that strand of "pearls". It is a string of shell beads.

The seller is also selling natural "South Sea pearls" along with his "abalone." There is nothing legit going on there. Every pearl auction of this seller is a fraud. Based on his dishonest representation of pearls I would not trust a single item on his list.

Not only that but if that really was a strand of the 'oldest, vintage, rarest collected gems from royal indian families', I'd be expecting them to go for FAR more than $450!!

MOP? Old peely costume beads? No matter. :rolleyes:

When the pedigree makes no sense and does not relate to the way the piece looks, I am not very motivated to look further into details... That listing is a typical case.

2c

They really look like mother-of-pearl beads to me - which I guess is really shell pearls. I have used them before in very low cost designs. They have a quaint natural look, sometimes even spots of irridescence and usually have some brownish discoloration, which I think I see in the photo. They run less than $3 a strand wholesale.

Speaking of BIG...

Something quite large by cultured pearl standards: ;) 18 x16mm oval South Sea:
sasb28092007008.jpg

Speaking of BIG...

Something quite large by cultured pearl standards: ;) 18 x16mm oval South Sea
<...image snipped>
I saw that on ebay and was much impressed. It would be great as a pendent

Heehee, good one! He's trying to "pull a Zeide Esrkine".
This guy is too transparent, and we're all falling for it. I'm even tempted to say there's an element of integrity; let the buyer beware?with all the tools provided. I have no doubt that the object as imaged is exactly what would be shipped.

Also, unfortunately, this illustrates the need for us to spend $1000 just to get the 12 strands of our natural Cook Islands poe pipi necklace certified by GIA ($75/strand last time I checked), despite its indisputible provenance. GIA and other such labs actually seem to benefit from the activity of sellers like this, assuming that the certification process is a source of profit.

Back