What do I have here?

Eyepod

SAM_0420.jpgSAM_0421.jpgSAM_0419.jpg

Hello! I'm wondering what I might have here. We needed some extra cash for a weekend getaway and pawned some old gold and silver jewelry and brought this piece along as well. The pawn guy thought that the pearls were real and its "replacement" value might be $2000 to $3000. My wife doesn't particularity care for it and so it doesn't have a lot of value to us. The piece was found on an aircraft in the mid 90's (don't ask:eek:).

Thank you in advance for your expertise and opinions!

Eyepod.

Is that a bracelet? Are the pearls smooth or gritty to the tooth or when rubbed together? If so, it is probably an akoya piece.

The truth is, most regular pearls have very little resale value, so don't get your hopes up. Even if the replacement value is 2-3,000 and it could be, if it was bought retail, replacement value has nothing to do with street value.

This link is the completed sales list for similar triple strander akoya bracelets. $132.00 was the best recent sold price - and don't forget to deduct the fees for the sale.

Is that a bracelet? Are the pearls smooth or gritty to the tooth or when rubbed together? If so, it is probably an akoya piece.

The truth is, most regular pearls have very little resale value, so don't get your hopes up. Even if the replacement value is 2-3,000 and it could be, if it was bought retail, replacement value has nothing to do with street value.

This link is the completed sales list for similar triple strander akoya bracelets. $132.00 was the best recent sold price - and don't forget to deduct the fees for the sale.

Thank you for the reply! Yes, it is a bracelet and definitely gritty to the tooth test.

The pawn broker suggested I take it in to have it cleaned and evaluated. Interestingly, when I called my local jeweler today, he said that he had "no interest" in looking at it and that he didn't want to buy it (not that I even asked him to):confused:

If its value is in line with what you are suggesting it might be, I think we'll just hang on to it. IF we were going out tonight, I think I would ask my wife to wear it. It looks very pretty on her:D I was just hoping that maybe I had stumbled into a gem...

Agreed, that is not a major moneymaker.

Does your wife like pearls as a necklace? You could easily restring it/have it restrung to be a 22"-24" necklace.

Good! Just enjoy it! and Pearl dreams is right about a necklace. it will be opera length at 22-24". Akoya pearls do have the best shine and that is why they are valued, but there is so much production of akoya right now, the resale prices aren't as high as they would be if there were less competition. So I say. Do not insure. Do not put in safe. Instead, wear them often!!! And redesign them as needed in order to wear them often. I am sure you can replace them for about $132.00 if they were to get damaged or something.

Back