What clasp did Mikimoto use in 1970s?

PinkLemonade1

Did Mikimoto use 750 Yellow Gold Clasps that look like todays clasps in 1971?

Its a bracelet. Thank you for your help!
What clasp did Mikimoto use in 1970s?

Hello @PinkLemonade1 and welcome to our forum!
Wish I knew...Mikimoto adds their logo to the back of the settings, and the logo has changed a bit over time so it can be used to "date" an item (with caveats of course). Can you send us another photo of the back of the clasp?

Hello @PinkLemonade1 and welcome to our forum!
Wish I knew...Mikimoto adds their logo to the back of the settings, and the logo has changed a bit over time so it can be used to "date" an item (with caveats of course). Can you send us another photo of the back of the clasp?
this clasp is the 750 stamp. same as what you get from Mikimoto now. i think someone added it to an old strand of pearls so trying to find a strand from the 70s to look at the clasp. seller said from 1971 but i've never seen 750 gold for the 70s. thank you.

These were my Mother‘s pearls. I recently had them restrung and after picking them up they do not hang very nicely, could they be knotted too tightly? I‘ve never seen a box that they may have been purchased with, but they look like they have the correct Mikimoto clasp, I would love opinions about that and if they could be dated by the type of clasp. This necklace has 87 pearls on it and they all look the same size.

These were my Mother‘s pearls.
they look like they have the correct Mikimoto clasp

This looks to be a nice strand of Mikimoto pearls. I can't date them based on the clasp, but the knotting isn't something to be worried about. If you roll the strand a bit the knots may loosen up, but you want them tight after a restring, otherwise they will stretch quickly.

The knots appear to be large, but you described the strand as having 87 pearls. Unless it's a long strand, the pearls are quite small.

Thank you very much. The necklace is long, 28”, I think they call that opera length, not sure. My Mother never attended an opera that I know of, but I remember that she did wear them to a neighborhood barbecue to show them off 😁

Also, I’ve seen some Mikimoto necklaces online that have the additional M charm, this necklace does not have that, were there certain years that the additional came with the necklace?

These were my Mother‘s pearls. I recently had them restrung and after picking them up they do not hang very nicely, could they be knotted too tightly? I‘ve never seen a box that they may have been purchased with, but they look like they have the correct Mikimoto clasp, I would love opinions about that and if they could be dated by the type of clasp. This necklace has 87 pearls on it and they all look the same size.

View attachment 466662View attachment 466663
It doesn’t look like they used silk to string the pearls. I wonder if whoever did it would restring with silk? :(

That is why they aren’t “hanging” properly…. I believe and from what I can see :)

Back