what are these

pearlescence

purveyor of pearls UK/EU
i'm back in the selling shed in Manchester. Today a lovely lady came up, she was wearing these pearls. Did not know what they are. She has had them for about 20 years she reckoned. My guess would be very early chinese but I am ready to be corrected. They defo need restringing - one strand just about hanging in there..but they are so tiny I'm not sure I want the job. No knots but on very frayed and grubby silk. The clasp is attractive but does not seem to be silver - it stayed dark and gloomy when I rubbed it with the silver polishing cloth.
Any thoughts would be welcome. I said I would contact her.
thanks

Last edited:
really hard to tell from without a close up but I think your hunch is right - look like CFWP

Nice to get the suspicion confirmed. They do indeed need a good scrub...but you can see why |'m not first in line with my hand in the air to do the clean up and restring - even with no knotting...
Here is a photo of the spring shed

Last edited:
yes my shed has never looked like that! On the piece though, I do kind of find it interesting just because it is from the earlier days of mainstream CFWP. I don't blame you for not wanting to do the work on those, I don't think I would either.

It almost looks like a nice big jewellery box... and I wished my jewellery box looked like that, too!

Now, if I had a place where I could store jewelry and power tools, I would be very happy! :D

Now, if I had a place where I could store jewelry and power tools, I would be very happy! :D

haha, gotta agree there. now, techno gadgets, power tools AND jewellery - that would be perfect!

i am next to a stall selling home made fudge. yesterday a 'customer' asked...'this is sugar free..right?' 'No, it's fudge, it's made with sugar' 'but your notice says sugar free!' 'no, it says gluten free'
unanimous award of the day's d'oh!

i am next to a stall selling home made fudge. yesterday a 'customer' asked...'this is sugar free..right?' 'No, it's fudge, it's made with sugar' 'but your notice says sugar free!' 'no, it says gluten free'
unanimous award of the day's d'oh!

I'm not sure what happens, but I think when people are in a situation where there is a lot of stimulation, they can get confused.

When I worked at Disneyland, I was asked many times, "What time is the three o'clock parade?" Their subconscious clearly registered the time, but they weren't consciously aware of it in the colorful and sometimes chaotic environment.

I'm thinking - "This is a trick question, right?" But I would answer that the parade was at three o'clock and they would thank me sincerely and go on their way. ;)

Back