What are these pearls?

step

I recently purchased this from someone who is selling for her friend. She claims these are SSP. I am not well versed with pearls and I need your help in identifying these. Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 24
They all look like freshwater pearls to me. What are the sizes?

More FWP, like your other strand. :(

I would like to recommend the following book which is full of up-to-date information on pearls and tips for buyers. The Chinese have made a lot of progress in freshwater pearls cultivation in the past 15-20 years!

Pearl Buying Guide: How to Identify and Evaluate Pearls by Renee Newman (6th edition).

https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Buying...=1-1&keywords=renee+newman+pearl+buying+guide

Last edited:
More FWP, like your other strand. :(

I would like to recommend the following book which is full of up-to-date information on pearls and tips for buyers. The Chinese have made a lot of progress in freshwater pearls cultivation in the past 15-20 years!

Pearl Buying Guide: How to Identify and Evaluate Pearls by Renee Newman (6th edition).

https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Buying...=1-1&keywords=renee+newman+pearl+buying+guide

The pink sizes are 12-15mm, the black is 15-18mm they are huge pearls. I thought FWP are smaller. Well, the Chinese has found a way to make them bigger.

I will look it up on amazon.

Yes, they have learned to place a bead inside the body of the freshwater mussel, thus being able to achieve larger sizes and rounder shapes.

Being able to get a large pearl faster has several advantages. The pearls don't have to stay in the water for many years to grow large-- and as FWP are farmed, this saves the farmer money. The longer a mussel remains in the water, the greater the risk of loss from storms etc.

The black ones are dyed, as Pareltje said. That is not a naturally occurring color for freshwater pearls. The pink/peach color is natural, as are various shades of lavender.

Bead-nucleated FWP come in a range of quality. The best have smooth clean surfaces, high luster and are fully round.
FWP that are dyed are typically lower quality pearls.

Last edited:
Back