Went shopping today

KarinK

While it's true I have only a few (high class) pearl items on my wish list, I do have some projects. Today I got caught in the welknown dilemma: should I buy cheaper solutions and be able to wear the styles I would otherwise miss or should I wait, save and get better quality?

Well, today I shopped. We don't have any gem faires here in Denmark and I didn't come across one during this year's US vacation either, but there is a wholesale jewelry fair once a year. It's been getting smaller every year but there was one single booth with reasonable freshwater pearls at reasonable prices. Got even better after they deducted 10% and didn't include the 25% VAT as I had my business number with me.

So, for the price of $240 I got seven strands of almost round FW pearls, 5-5.5 mm. (great shape, not amazing luster but pretty much without blemishes), two strands of 4 mm. metallic FW (potato shaped but so shiny you don't really notice) and a strand of baroque akoya (great overtones, really thin nacre with the bead showing in places but no one is going to get that close).

These strands sums up my entire list of projects: a five stranded bracelet using a vintage clasp I have, a 70'' rope with white pearls (yes, the pearls are small but I like 'dainty' coupled with 'abundant'), a 30'' rope with the small metallic pearls (wasn't on my list but I like the pictures I've seen on the forum with a variety of sizes in ropes) and a white-ish off-round akoya necklace as I sorely miss the vintage strand that I lost.

It's just that none of these pearls are what you'd call amazing pearls. I guess I sacrificed quantity over quality. But at least I'll have my rope(s) now and I'll be able to finally make the bracelet. For the money I spent I could almost have gotten a 54'' rope with AA pearls, readymade. Or I could have limited myself, spent the same amount of money and gotten better quality for the rope... Oh, I don't know... I guess if I love the ropes I can save for a better one and be like Caitlin's MIL with garlands of pearls hanging around my neck.

Picture of purchase coming soon.

- Karin

Can't wait to see the pics of your purchases and of the finished projects Karin! And I would have done the same....bought everything and done it myself. What's the fun in buying ready made? (No offence to those selling beautiful wares like we know you do!) :eek:

Those sound like fun purchases! Can't wait to see what you make with them.

I'm thinking you are going to have a lot of fun and we will get to be a part of the process! :)

Here are the pictures. The kitchen tissue is supposed to be white - hope I got it right this time :)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

- Karin

oooooo shiny!

Hello Karin - I vote for having it all: some really nice strands when they come along and budget allows, and fun things I don't have to take much care about.
I will love seeing what you do with them. And you may not have gem faires, but you seem to have all the vintage clasps I can't find anywhere.

Cheers,

KarinK -- those look like great fun! I look forward to seeing your projects.

oooooo shiny!

Hello Karin - I vote for having it all: some really nice strands when they come along and budget allows, and fun things I don't have to take much care about.
I will love seeing what you do with them. And you may not have gem faires, but you seem to have all the vintage clasps I can't find anywhere.

Cheers,

:)
That particular clasp I remember since my early years. With the broken strings still attached it was one of the few things I brought from the house when my parents died so it's quite special to me.

- Karin

What lovely pearls you picked up! Looking forward to seeing your finished projects! How lucky you are to have such a special clasp :cool:

:)
That particular clasp I remember since my early years. With the broken strings still attached it was one of the few things I brought from the house when my parents died so it's quite special to me.

- Karin

I can't think of anything more special than that.

Back