Visible string tie on Akoya necklace?

T

TSH

Hi all,

I have a question regarding an Akoya pearl necklace I have.

My "Title" may not make it clear, but here is the situation.

Near the clasp ends of the necklace between the last two pearls on both ends, I can see small knots. It appears that this is where the string has been tied on both ends although I am not certain. It is not large although on close examination it is visible and even slightly dirty looking.

What should I make of this? Does this affect the overall value of my necklace?

Thanks!

That is simply where the necklace was finished. The knotter doubled back through the last pearl. You are seeing the last not. As to the color, the knot may be dirty, or the know may have been finished with a flame to melt it into place.

Thanks Jeremy!

Is it normal to see this in a pearl necklace? Or is it a strike against the necklace?

Thanks for your response Caitlin!

I guess considering that you have seen this on top-of-the-line necklaces such as Mikimoto this can be seen in even the best of pearl necklaces, correct?

Although, back to my original post, since you also wrote that it is inexpensive to re-string, I take it this visibility is not a desirable characterisitc, correct?

Will the value be affected with this visibility?

Thanks again for any and all responses!

The knot as described would not affect the value whatsoever. It is just the stringing style. If the knot is dirty, however, you may want to restring. Then again, it is in the back of the necklace, so it does not really matter.

Back