Vintage Pearl Drop Earrings - Akoya?

Beans

I've posted here in the past about pearls and you've been most helpful.

I recently found these pretty pearl screwback earrings at a thrift store and all I know for sure is they are 14k white gold with some clear stones that could be white topaz (diamond tester showed they're not diamonds). I'm not sure about the pearls except that they are pearls and not glass. The pearls at the lobe are 8mm and the drops are 10mm. On the back of one earring is a stamp '39 - 41' which I thought might indicate the years in production. I found a similar pair (the leaf design) online that were dated as 1950s earrings.

Mostly, I'm curious to know what kind of pearls these are.

Attachments

• Dbl Pearl Drop Earrings B.jpg
    Dbl Pearl Drop Earrings B.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Dbl Pearl Drop Earrings C.jpg
    Dbl Pearl Drop Earrings C.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 27
  • Dbl Pearl Drop Earrings E.jpg
    Dbl Pearl Drop Earrings E.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 29
Is there any metal mark on the ear wire indicating they are actually gold, or did you test the metal?

Did you do the "tooth test" on the pearls? Rub a a pearl gently on the edge of your front tooth, or rub 2 pearls against each other. Genuine pearls are a bit gritty while imitation pearls are smooth.

I'm quite familiar with the tooth test and rubbing the pearls together. When I saw them, I thought there was no way they were pearls but when I rubbed them together, I was doing my happy dance. I didn't see the gold stamp till after I got home.

The insides of the screws are stamped 14k. I have a rather poor quality photo but the mark is legible.

Attachments

• Dbl Pearl Drop Earrings F.jpg
    Dbl Pearl Drop Earrings F.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 28
Then I think they must be akoya pearls, given the size, roundeness, and luster.

Wonderful! Someone had told me that a jeweller told her that white topaz was commonly used in older jewelry. The stones have lots of sparkle but I'm really more interested in what type of pearls they are. As for the mark on the back '39 - 41', perhaps it will remain a mystery mark. Thanks so much for your valued and appreciated input.

Beans, a very nice find! Pearl Dreams says Akoya, and I agree. Possibly the gems could be white sapphire, or white topaz. The numbers are more likely to refer to the earring style; the findings look commercially produced.

What an elegant, classic design (except for the screw backs)!

Last edited:
If the stones are sparkly, they could be white zircons. Cleaning them up with jewelry cleaner on a swab, front and back could make them dazzle. The pearls are pretty, as are the earrings - a classic!

Back