Vintage freshwater necklace?

hbyrne

Hello fellow pearlers!

I've had this little necklace for a while, I suppose it is freshwater pearls, on a silver clasp, but I think they are quite unusual as I've not seen many graduated fw necklaces. Also they are pretty smooth...in summary, I can't make them out...does anyone see any clues? image.jpgimage.jpg

How long is "a while"? If 1980 or before, they could be Biwa pearls; that is when mine date back to.

If more recently, probably Chinese freshwaters, the earlier ones.

PearlDreams...thank you for yr thoughts :) I've had them maybe ten years, but bought them secondhand. The clasp is maybe 40s/50s? Also three row graduated necklaces were really popular back then, so that's what I'm thinking about their age.

Pattye...it's only 15 inches long, which explains why I've not worn it :-( although, it does work as a bracelet.

Hello Helen,

Can you take better photos using your Macro setting (Flower) and if possible in daylight. Try to get them up close even if you take several photos of the necklace in sections and put them on something like white kitchen paper or something white without any gloss.

They are hard to get a good look at in your photos. Also show a photo of the front of your clasp.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

I'm eager to see what the experts come up with for species on these. Have not seen that shape before (I'm not feeling the '80's freshies at all on these. Clasp, triple row, stringing style - doesn't go). They must be tiny eh? (no knots but at the ends, as we see with old strands of seed pearls).

Jodie

Ooh, I'm excited now! The largest measures roughly (calipers are at work!) 5x7mm, the smallest 2 x2.5mm. The clasp is marked STG silver and has lost all its marcasite/paste. Some of the pearls have ridges. Ive taken some pics with flas and some without.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Hi Helen,

Not sure what they are but they are lovely. Could they be genuine Japanese Biwa? Helen if you could take a couple more photos, sorry. But on macro again but even closer up taking photos of the ridges and any flat spots and generally blemishes it would help and also a photo of the pearls nearer the clasp. They can sometimes help with what types of pearls. No flashes and in daylight if possible. As I have found out recently daylight is worth the trouble. :)

They are not cheap rice crispies for sure. The clasp might tell us what era. I think they are around the 40s or 50s because of the clasp although clasps can be changed. Not marquasite (pyrites) they are little pastes. Pretend diamonds of the day.

Whatever they are they are worth putting a better clasp on and restringing them with knots which will add and inch or so.

Hi experts, when were Biwas cultured by the Japanese? These seem (with the clasp) to be too early to be cheap, early Chinese pearls. Look more like some of their better pearls though which doesn't make sense with their age, do maybe Japanese. But truly I am guessing.

I have a bridal collier (necklace) and the pearls look similar to yours but I don't want to muddy the waters for your necklace by adding a photo. I will put a photo of them under my "Dawn's Pearls" thread which I am adding to over the next few hours. I have been told they might be Biwas which are fairly special cultured pearls. Good luck.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

Could THESE possibly be Tay pearls? Were there enough of them to be in a triple strand? I've only ever seen singles or a couple on brooches etc. If they were, would they have a paste clasp? Or would they have used the real thing?

Jodie

Pearl-friends...Delighted with your interest...I'm onto it....I'll take some closer pics tomorrow (correction, partner will, as he has a new camera!). I'm intrigued!

image.jpgOne more...pearls near clasp..thank you all for your interest, I've been working on assignment 5 of the GIA pearl course today, about FWCP, and from the information there Biwa seem most likely time wise....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 30
Oh ! the close up picture is beautiful ! Amazing how the pearls are "nested" against each others... like if they adjusted to fit the contours of each other !
What is it that you put on the light ? wax paper ? great idea to avoid hurting the eyes !

Beautiful luster ! thanks for posting those new pictures !

Sophie

For better interior resolution, please try cardboard and a smaller-than-the-pearls size hole. If you get a free moment.:)

But may I say Wow! nice photos!

Back