Vintage Akoya Strand

Nerida

Hi, I've just finished restringing this lovely old strand of akoyas for a customer. The pearls are 3.8mm to 7.4mm at the centre (they fall off sharply, though - next one out is 6.4mm) and the strand is 18.5 inches long.

They were bought in the UK by my customer's grandmother - all we know is that they were in the household by the 1960's. To me, they seem to be in good condition. One or two are a little translucent, but the others are all quite lovely. I am told the clasp is diamond set - I'm no gemmologist to know. Sadly, one of the diamonds is missing.

Is there much value in these pearls? They are certainly pretty, and the gorgeous girl who brought them to me will certainly love to wear them just because they were her grandmother's. She has bought some lovely CFWP from me as well.

Any comments gratefully received.. thanks!

Lucy's Pearls 001.jpg

Lucy's Pearls 002.jpg

Lucy's Pearls 005.jpg

Can?t open the pics because pending approval....

When I opened the program today I could see the pics. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Wendy,

Those pearls look really pretty. I do love the rich cream color. Have no idea of value. But with good care, and the likelihood of thick nacre, they will last a few more generations at least! She probably could have the diamond (?) replaced. If the prong sticks out it could snag clothes or hair.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Can?t open the pics because pending approval....
I can see them. Who monitors pictures? It's not my job.

But with good care, and the likelihood of thick nacre, they will last a few more generations at least!
In my opinion that will be true only if they aren't worn regularly. My sis-in-law and her nieces have quite a collection of akoyas from the 30's, 40's, and 50's. All of them were worn almost daily by the nieces' Great Grandmother, their grandmother , their mother, and now themselves.

All the pearls are in fairly poor shape, most with nacre missing around the drill holes. If these pearls were restrung taking the all the exposed pearls out and replacing them, only about a fifth of the original pearls would be left.

Here is a picture taken by my other sis-in-law who is an excellent photographer. The nieces are so pretty in their pearls I just wanted to post a picture. The one on the left is really stretched out, but both my sis-in-laws know how to knot.

Attachments

• small Mary & Cynthia with pearls cropped.jpg
    small Mary & Cynthia with pearls cropped.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 40
Awesome photo! Pearl sales would go up if more photos like that were around. :cool:

Yes, Caitlin, you are right, I should have said with good care and occasional wearing only----------those girls are certainly beautiful!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Last edited by a moderator:
Caitlin, your nieces look beautiful. Does Terry need any more models?

Caitlin & Pattye - Yes, I should tell my customer to wear the pearls only occasionally. Luckily she has the CFW that will last and last and tolerate daily wear...

Thanks all.

All the photos of those nieces taken by their Aunt Lulu are great.

Even though those pearls wear down with constant use, I don't think my nieces or their mother will ever put them aside and save them for special occasions. They have to keep up the family tradition of wearing lots of pearls every day.

I guess you might call them "shabby chic"

Hooo! Reading old posts is fun! Caitlin, have you converted any of your relatives to more diverse pearls since this post?

I remember this one! I read this post when I was doing research before! I love to see photos with people's faces in them - Caitlin your nieces are gorgeous! They could be models!

- Jodie -

Yes. My sister in law Louise Kleinsorge Williams took those photos. she is an extraordinary photographer. the nieces are both beautiful, but Lulu really gets the right shots! I must have a thousand she took of Zoe, (my youngest) while she was in the Bay area dancing and going to college. Friend me on Face book to see them all!

Attachments

• zoe portrait x lulu.jpg
    zoe portrait x lulu.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Zoe on Clarion Street 007a.jpg
    Zoe on Clarion Street 007a.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 40
Back