Vacuum packed oyster opening parties on Facebook

lizze86, welcome to Pearl-Guide.

The appeal of the pearl parties (for buyers) seems to be the whole ritual oyster-opening thing. But that is just a show, and essentially a lie. The pearls inside were not cultured in the oyster that is opened and are almost 100% freshwater pearls, which were harvested from freshwater mussels.

Are you saying you want to have a pearl party that doesn't involve opening oysters?

I suppose you could buy fresh unopened shells from a pearl farm but they would probably be pretty smelly by the time they reached you. Pearl farms tend to be in remote areas with slow lines of communication.
There is no way to tell from the outside what sort of pearl, if any, is inside.
Pearls can be treated but the top quality ones don't need much treatment beyond a quick wash.
Suggest you develop some other business model, hopefully still with pearls

Lizzie86, Yes, it's possible to buy loose pearls to sell and Yes others are already doing so. Some parties along with opening shells are selling loose Sea of Cortez, Edison's, Tahitians. Golden/ White South sea and Akoyas. You will have to be creative, because most of the pearl party crowd are used to paying next to nothing for these commercial quality pearls most are selling. The customer base will not understand the value in buying higher quality pearls. In your creativity, don't use drawings or other games of chance. These are illegal on facebook and paypal will shut you down.

Hi,

I have read the posts on here and researched pearl parties.

I would like to do pearl parties but with actual quality cultured pearls, not dyed repackaged potentially dangerous pearls!

I appreciate these will be expensive especially compared to the "quality" listings on sites like alibaba!

Is it even possible to do pearl parties without these cheap vacummed dead oysters?
The site I have been reading about pearl farming says oysters are opened, not all have pearls, ones with pearls are then treated with light chemicals and a vat of crushed walnuts to give them a soft shine without damaging the pearl. Once treated they go to be matched for jewellery.

Can anyone offer any advice?

If a pearl party is really what you want to do. I would suggest avoiding oysters altogether. Buy loose pearls. To keep the surprise you can put them into little boxes or something similar.
If you choose to go into the pearl party business, please choose to be honest about your products. It may be wise to make sure you are educated on pearls first too :)

If you’re talking about opening “real” oysters for a party, I would suggest ordering some fresh edible oysters first, then “shucking” (opening them) yourself to see how it goes. It is HARD to open an oyster. Even with a shucking knife. I worked at a restaurant while going to college that had an oyster bar. Oh how I loathed those oysters. My hands were so cut up from the shells and from that knife slipping. I did find several natural (wild) pearls during my days there. But I can tell you from experience, it was not worth the work, the injuries, the stink, or the slime.

Mastiffmom, Pearl parties are usually opening akoya or triangle sail shells, very rarely black lips.

Back