Tutorial for Pearl Tincup?

bwise

Thanks to this wonderful forum, I was able to learn stringing quickly and soon before I knew it, became a little addicted.

I've now restrung all my 18 necklaces and bracelets, and would love to learn making tin-cups. I searched but could not find much. Can someone please point me to tin-cup tutorials that you find helpful? Thanks in advance!

I've always been curious as to how tin cups are made, too.

I have a self-made tin cup necklace but here I combined wire wrapping the pearls with some chain which I cut in shorter length. Another technique I know is by using a thin chain and slide it through the drill hole and use some epoxy glue to put the pearls in place.

First you need to learn how to wire wrap a bead , I think this will show you how to wire wrap a bead. Once you get to be good at making the loops nice and small and round then you just add in lengths of chain. I'm sure there are more videos out there...search wire wrapping beads and how to make a tin cup necklace on you tube. Theres a lot of videos out there... I didn't watch these..I did one search and grabbed two.

.http://www.firemountaingems.com/resources/videos/652t
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ1I16TvCio

What are the best tools and types of wire for use with pearls?

We have a video to go with our rosary kits which covers tools and how to wire wrap (along with me not finding the hole in one pearl!). The wire needs to be a bit smaller than the drill hole, usually 0.6mm and not hard. Otherwise whatever wire you want

I know nothing about wire. Seriously, absolutely nothing.

I took a jewelry making class once, and bought the little anvil and hammer and some silver wire, and of course, I bought all the wrong things, and had to borrow some of the teacher's stuff. The teacher did give explicit instructions for what to bring to the workshop, but because I didn't know the jargon, I ordered stuff that sounded the same but was really quite different. I ended up selling it all to a weaving friend who also made lovely jewelry.

That's really odd kit for starting a silversmithing class (if that is what it was, as opposed to a bead type jewellery class)

Practice, practice, practice...and then practice some more! Start by using different gauges of craft wire...it's cheap and easy to learn with. Most supply/craft stores will sell a beginning jewelry pliers set (wire cutters, round nose, chain nose, needle nose). Once you've perfected your technique, you will want to up your game on your tools...but a cheap set will be good enough to learn on. There are a few different techniques used in wire wrapping that depend on the bead/stone to be wrapped, and how it is to be placed on your piece. To do a basic tin cup, I suggest starting with gold fill or sterling silver (after the practice with artistic wire). I like to use different types of chain, but a great starting point is a 1.8mm oval link and a 22-24 gauge half hard wire.

I do a lot of tin cup's for my Etsy site. After you are a wire wrapper. I recommend 1.8 to 2.0 mm rolo chain with 22 gauge wire. 22 gauge will fit most pearls which likely will have .8mm holes. Rolo is strong and has a good look. I use gold filled wire and stering silver,
Her'e one of mine:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/460319626/coin-pearls-tin-cup-scattered?ref=shop_home_active_4

Totally agree about the Rollo chain..I did have that in my post until I edited it lol

My first tin cup was made with loose keshi and an old gold chain. After practicing with wiring, I put the keshi right smack in the middle of the chain so it was an easy job. If you have any broken chains, they would be great to use as well. Laying your design out on a bead board and making a temporary tin cup with string and knotted the pearls will help in deciding where you want the pearl. Some pearls hang heavy so you want to play with the design until you get the pearls where you like them.

If you give us a few days we'll attempt to add station necklaces/bracelets to the how-to video collection. We have an order for station anklets (pretty delicate ones for brides)

BW, I started wire wrapping with cheapy copper and aluminum wires from the craft store. I suggest picking up a few different gauge sizes and "practice, practice, practice", like JP said. I never used soft wire, I went straight to round argentium silver half hard (in various gauges), which I bought from Rio. I also bought good pliers nearly right from the start b/c the cheapy ones hurt my hands. Try to match the wire gauge to the bead or pearl hole (beads will be larger). The wire should slide on easily, but not have too much play. Also, you can mark your pliers with a sharpie, so that you make consistant loops while you are learning. Good luck!

Something I've found helps me is to make a template, a piece of paper the length of the necklace or bracelet I plan to make. I can lay the clasp and pearls on it to check the spacing, and more accurately judge how long the pieces of chain need to be. A tape measure and some basic math, marking the paper at equal intervals will give you a permanent guide to easily repeat your design! Be sure to include the approx length of your wire wraps; otherwise your bracelet could easily end up anklet sized! Count your links in each section of chain so they are exactly the same, or hang them from a straight pin and snip evenly.

With a bracelet, you may want the pearls evenly spaced so the weight is balanced and the clasp doesn't roll to the top of the wrist. I'm sure we've all experienced bracelets like that. I check the bracelet length by turning the first loop on each side of the pearl and attach each link of chain without finishing the wire wrap until I have verified the bracelet is the required length. (I'll add a photo tomorrow.)

On a necklace, it is much easier, imo, to adjust a few links near the clasp if necessary to shorten the length. Also be aware that if you use a heavier pearl in the center, it will sag more in the middle instead of having the more rounded look; just depends on the look you are going for. If you want to use your tin cup with an enhancer, you may want an even number of pearls so a length of chain is centered instead of a pearl.

All chain, sterling and especially karat gold is expensive; you want as little waste as possible. Patterned chain, like figaro, will have more waste and is more challenging to get the pattern centered than rolo or curb, which have no pattern. Do save all scraps and recycle. Rio Grande has a good recycling program.

Excellent suggestions above for size of chain and choice of wire!

I am writing this after 9pm, and will check for errors in the morning, haha.

Pattye, I use a safety pin and a third hand when cutting my chain...it works really well, especially when you can't find your ruler. I also do have a ruler with a groove in the center which makes it great for cutting chain lengths...but I prefer the safety pin method. And even if those minuscule pieces of gold don't look like much, they do add up. I have taken my scrap over to Mr. Pawn Shop Owner and traded for longer sections of broken chains. We also have a wonderful jeweler who will buy scrap and offers a 20% bonus credit toward purchase of anything in their store.

I also use a safety pin or spare wire to measure chain lengths!

Back