Tracing Pearls - From Farm to Consumer

KAC

Found this on twitter this morning, very interesting: http://www.sustainablepearls.org/fi...Tracing_pearls_from_farm_to_consumer_copy.pdf

It outlines a couple of methods of "finger printing" the nucleus as a means to track and/or brand pearls from farm to consumer. Very cool but I have to think the cost of nucleus is going to be a big hurdle for a lot of farmers.

branded-nucleus.jpgmicro-chip-nucleus.jpg

*the second image is hard to read but its showing a nucleus with a small chip embedded.

If this is the same as is being mooted or even done with clothes and suchlike as a way of doing market research and for traceability....it's cheap to do. But a bit spooky.
Why would anyone want a pearl round their neck allowing someone (who?) to track their movements.
And why do it anyway?

The chips won't track your movement. Its similar to how we put a micro chip in cats and dogs and the vet can scan them to get the owners info if they're lost and found.

ah, different chip, though I dare say that they could track.
technically interesting but why would we want to?

Arthur Wong of the Fukui Shell company has patented an IC chip embedding process. He showed it to me in September and gave me some information packs about it. I haven't heard of anyone using it yet. Part of the problem I think farmers are going to have with it is that the nuclei that are embedded have been sliced in half and then reattached with epoxy.

It would definitely be too costly to slice the nucleus in half, put the chip in and then reattach. The concept is based on "imparting the identity before it is even born." In other words, when the nucleus is produced, the chip was already there. Other than the lamination technique, I see no other methods that can cost-effectively and efficiently produce this.

Due to the economies of scale in terms of production and natural resources, those of who cultivate large pearls will get the greatest cost benefits. Laminated nucleus production greatly lowers the demand for large, rare and expensive raw materials while sustain the supply of large nuclei. So, it will be a give-and-take between sticking to the Japanese's desire for one whole bead or conserving the environment by using the raw materials more efficiently. Anyway, in short, large pearl nuclei will be a lot cheaper than the traditional ones. This goes for the same for the ID nuclei.

The only way to really track movements is by using active RFID. Passive RFID chip is used in this case, thus it emits no signals unless a communicator is nearby. Furthermore, the readability is only in centimeters. No one can track your movement.

The ultimate purpose is to solve three things - identification, track-and-traceability, authentication.

Even if you buy from a brand name store or get the pearl certified by a reputable gemological lab, no one on this planet can 100% guarantee your pearl's authenticity. The only way you know it is truly 100% guarantee authentic is by getting the pearl from the pearl farm yourself. Indonesia or Myanmar pearls sold as Australian pearls. Akoya pearls mistreated as unbeaded Chinese freshwater pearls. Unknown source for the pearl nuclei but only later to find out that they are tridacna (giant clam) or chemically-treated. Pearl jewelers want to brand their pearls. The pearl certificate has no value since it is all based on observable characteristics (and the nucleus).

Even if you can tell where the pearl is generally from, which specific location is it from? When was the pearl nucleus implanted? When was the pearl harvested? Who was the technician who implanted the nucleus?

Nevertheless, the chip itself is meaningless unless you wire it to a database. And the database is not credible unless an international standard is established for track-and-trace and authentication.

Back