TJ Maxx Strand - photos and some questions

The clasp was not stamped...only the tag said it was 14K.

Thanks for satisfying my curiousity! That's what I'd have bet on: While it's possible to find falsely-stamped "gold" items, it's about 99% less common than a misleading tag. I'm crazy enough that I carry around a loupe and always look for the stamp/hallmark, even though salespeople look at me like I'm a nutjob. For the less fanatical, I say don't be shy about asking for a loupe and/or to be shown the hallmarking. It's not 100%, but far more certain than anything else a store's gonna let you do.

More on topic, my #1 piece of advice to friends who insist on shopping retail for pearls is very simple: "the pearls and metal should synch." If you think you've found an amazing strand of natural pearls, natural-color tahitians, big south sea or something else of high value... and it's clasped with a dinky silver thing... think again. I really like silver myself, but nobody's gonna put a little silver filigree clasp on a nice strand of 14mm South Sea Goldens...

Caveat Emptor always, but it's a good "this just don't add up" kinda 'sniff' test.

...of course it isn't a proper assay mark/hallmark if the maker put it there.
(If you want to really be pedantic it isn't a hallmark unless it has been to Goldsmith's Hall, which houses the London Assay Office)

Last edited:
Looks like you got a good deal ..they look lovely on you ! As to th enGolden South Sea .... Do a lots of reading here ... They are often dyed and you need to be very careful as they are also hideously expensive at the Gold end of the colour range ... I'd look at Pearl Paradise ...you won't go wrong with them if you decide that's what you want and you will get what you pay for .. Enjoy your pearls !

Back