Thrift strands

roxolania

I thrifted these strands of pearl like beads primarily to use the clasp as a finding- but I don't think they are pearls I think they are imitation but I don't understand why the rather nice white gold clasps were used on them. From the photos you can see that they both have rather nice white gold clasp one is marked 14k and the other is 10K and the other was never worn and even still has the vintage label advertising the 10 karat clasp. They have a silvery gold surface appearance and the largest bead on one strand is peeling. Does anybody have any more info about what these were meant to be?

Attachments

• photo72205.jpg
    photo72205.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
Replying to add photos

Attachments

• photo72206.png
    photo72206.png
    783.6 KB · Views: 42
  • photo72207.png
    photo72207.png
    896.4 KB · Views: 49
  • photo72208.png
    photo72208.png
    840.3 KB · Views: 51
  • photo72209.png
    photo72209.png
    852.3 KB · Views: 48
Yes, Roxolania, looks like you have imitation pearls there. The karat gold clasps appear to be the fish hook style, and probably were much less expensive then, 40-50 years ago, than they are now. So a nice find! If the beads are in good shape, not peeling, or dirty, they can be reused. If they are dirty, try wiping them down with a damp microfiber cloth (like you'd use to clean eye glasses).

I agree with pattye these are imitation pearls. The clasps sure make up for the purchase :yup:

Thanks for the help so far- at least I know those 2 strands can safely be dismantled and clasps put to better use. Yesterday l found yet another suspected faux strand on the junk pile this one has a sterling clasp

Attachments

• photo72216.png
    photo72216.png
    700.1 KB · Views: 41
  • photo72217.png
    photo72217.png
    711.4 KB · Views: 38
  • photo72218.png
    photo72218.png
    707.6 KB · Views: 43
Totally faux. And the clasp is nice, after some cleaning it will look great. Looks vintage.

Vintage, nice quality, faux pearls could often have nice low carat gold or sterling silver clasps back in the day. It made the wearer feel like they were wearing "real" jewelry, since even Mikimoto used sterling silver clasps back a few decades ago for their cultured pearls. Plus, the faux pearls still would have been more affordable than cultured pearls.

My grandmother had a double strand of Richelieu faux pearls with a sterling silver clasp. When she gave them to me in 1970 she said, "These are the best pearls that are not a pearl." My grandmother's faux pearls are no longer good looking (2021). They have yellowed and peeled, but the sterling clasp is still good.

Every father wanted to give his daughter a strand of pearls for their 21st. It was traditional. If you were very rich 100 or more years ago this could happen. But other loving dads gave the best imitations they could afford. Before Mikimoto and more plentiful pearl production imitation was all there was for most. Doesn't mean they were not given with love and cherished by the recipient.

Amen! I agree! Gifted with Love :)

Back