The photo that inspired me

katie

In terms of jewelery, I've always worn my wedding ring, diamond studs and sometimes interchanged them with pearl studs.

I saw a movie the other day, dial M for Murder and old favorite but I saw the one with Michael Douglas in it ..

Well I thought necklaces weren't my thing until I saw this movie .. I was inspired and HAD to have one...

A double strand pearl necklace .. If only I could figure out what size it is - I'm thinking perhaps 8-9mm or is that too large, perhaps 7-8mm ?

Now the fact that PP has the city strand as special of the month .. It seriously had to be !

pearls.jpg

So I'm wondering is there anything - image or person that inspired your love of pearls ?

K

It's interesting. What movies (images) have more staying power than pearls? Name the above movie. I won't give it away. Michael Douglas, too, though, right? Anyone else besides me noticed the amazing collection of pearls Diane Keaton wears almost daily and throughout every movie she makes? Lots of strands of big beauties encircling her neck. A class act all the way. I'm also reminded of Geraldine Fitzgerald in "Arthur" as the spirited matriarch who still has some vixen to her, although she would publicly deny it. "The First Wives Club" a gift of a strand of pearls signified their admission to the club and solidified them. And of course, Holly Golightly. Really, the list of pearl iconic movie images goes on and on from Wilma Flintstone on down. Am I just sensitive to pearls or is there definitely a lack of gemstone iconic imagery in films. All I can think of for gemstone imagery is Audrey Hepburn again in "My Fair Lady."

A very interesting recent example are the pearls worn by Demi Moore in "Flawless." It was a movie set in and around a diamond corporation but she wore pearls. Nice ones. The movie was OK, but the costuming and jewelery were awesome.

And let's not forget our women politicians who wear some beautiful big pearls to advantage.

Heidi

You are so right. Demi's pearls below are gorgeous !

demipearls.jpg

I really want a three strand now :p

Isn't that a gorgeous look? If I remember correctly she also wears a very nice South Sea necklace and has some stunning earrings too.

And let's not forget our women politicians who wear some beautiful big pearls to advantage.

Aparently so...

there are a couple of paragraphs about pearls in that NYT article (enough to put anyone below 50 off wearing pearl chokers with a sheath dress, LOL!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Katie,

the double strand necklace has pearls that are probably 7 - 7,5 or 8 mm pearls, no larger. Demi?s strand on the other hand consists of pearls that outh to be in the 9,5 to 10,5 mm range, if not up to 11 mm. They look like Tahitians.

I think my love for pearls was helped by films like "Breakfast at Tiffany?s" (although for a long time I did like much smaller pearls better) and by old films with Grace Kelly but also newer films with Diane Keaton. The list could go on and on - pearls always are graceful IMO, no matter how small.. My largest size I would buy for a whole strand ends at size 12,5. After that white pearls do looke like fakes and that goes as well for white South Seas, as many people do not recognize them anyway, sadly enough.

Aparently so...

there are a couple of paragraphs about pearls in that NYT article (enough to put anyone below 50 off wearing pearl chokers with a sheath dress, LOL!)

Hi Ana,
I am not quite sure that I do understand the last one about putting off people wearing chokers with a sheath dress, I like Michelle?s dress very much. As for the pearls, if they are fake it is a pity, as she certainly could afford a Soth Sea strand, but I posted before I read this article and it confirms my believe in that many people do not think a strand in that size could be real...

Hi Katie,

the double strand necklace has pearls that are probably 7 - 7,5 or 8 mm pearls, no larger.

Thanks Jerin, your a gem !

I didn't think they were large, I thought perhaps 8-9mm but I think you're more of an expert than me.

K

I wonder whether a single strand is ever going to be enough for anyone :eek: White too...

Me personally, I don't like the look of a single strand on myself, unless I wear a high neck top/dress. Even then my preference is two or three strands ..

Its not about class with me - I've just turned into a greedy pearl monster..

Ah, yes,
Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast At Tiffany's.........

What picture inspired me?
Queen Mary.....

just look at that crown!!!

Attachments

• queen Mary Pearls.jpg
    queen Mary Pearls.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 42
Hi Ana,
I am not quite sure that I do understand the last one about putting off people wearing chokers with a sheath dress...

Oh... it isn't me, it's the article: the writer describes the look as matronly and off putting. As the happy owner of half a dozen sheath dresses, I was a tad angry with the article while writing the previous post.

Does this sound appreciative to you?

" [...] a modernized version of another era?s ladylike clothes.

[...] the gumball pearls were a retro wink at traditional decorum [...] pearls-you-have-to-deal-with personality."

Not sure those pearls are fake after all; how would a reporter check? :rolleyes: Maybe Michelle admitted to this at some point, but I haven't followed the campaign quite so closely. By size alone both pearls and turquoise would be quite something, if real after all!

I liked Renee Russo's pearls in Thomas Crown...she seems to love pearls!!

Attachments

• 999TCA_Rene_Russo_036doublepearls.jpg
    999TCA_Rene_Russo_036doublepearls.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 999TCA_Rene_Russo_092pearls.jpg
    999TCA_Rene_Russo_092pearls.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 999TCA_Rene_Russo_093pearls.jpg
    999TCA_Rene_Russo_093pearls.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 51
Meryl Streep as "Miranda Priestly" in THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA ,wears a strand of tahitians that are killer huge. I think I have watched that part of the movie a dozen times just to see that stand of pearls. Addict, yes?

Hi Ana,

I don?t care what this reporter meant, I like sheat dresses and pearls and Renee Russo looks gorgeous with all these pearls!

Katie, I too watched the Gwyneth Paltrow version, but fell in love with her earrings instead of the necklace...the pearls stuck 3 together like a triangle. I wore them for years. One problem- the way I tended to grasp them by the edges when taking them off made for several repairs.

I'm going to take up some space here ...

Attachments

• diane keaton2.jpg
    diane keaton2.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 42
  • diane keaton5.jpg
    diane keaton5.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 43
  • diane-keaton-20060515-130370.jpg
    diane-keaton-20060515-130370.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 44
  • keaton1.jpg
    keaton1.jpg