• Thread starter Richard W. Wise
  • Start date
R

Richard W. Wise

The Making Of A Masterpiece:

By Richard W. Wise, G.G.

?2006

Step 1: The Gem:

Recently a client fell in love with this unusual and fine black opal (left). Black opal is found at Lightning Ridge in south Australia and almost nowher else. The cutter noting the unusual color pattern in the stone cut it to resemble a butterfly?s wing. We all agreed that the best use of the gem would be to make a butterfly piece, in this case a pendant for his wife. A combination brooch/pendant would have added flexible but as his wife never wears pins he decided against a combination piece. Few people have ever seen the steps necessary to produce a fine handmade original so we decided to document the making of this masterpiece. OK, SO ITS NOT AN PEARL BUT I THINK YOU WILL FIND IT INTERESTING JUST THE SAME: WWW.GEMWISEBLOGSPOTCOM.BLOGSPOT.COM

I am an october baby! I love Opals! I love the Fire in this pone especially, that seams to be becoming more and more rare these days in natural opals of any kind!

Ash

Lovely opal, Richard. I've seen pics of unusual pearls that have been used as part of pin or neckpiece in Malaguzzi's book, THE PEARL. They are obviously one of a kind and it is interesting to see all that goes into the design. I especially like the colors of gold combined.

Patricia Saab

Some of the larger and flatter CFW pearls make wonderful jewelry. Making a bezel is a bit of a challenge but if you just make a backing and put in a couple of pegs you can make something pretty nice that won't take an excessive amount of time.

Opals are my birthstone so I'm naturally drawn to them. The opal itself is gorgeous!

Back