That's what you get...

KarinK

Okay, I waited a few days to decide if I was going to went this or not. Obviously I decided in favour :)

One of my regular places for buying gem stone beads for my creations is Gemphora. For a while they have been listing some Akoya baroque, but their choice of word finally made me join the pearl police. I pointed out that they could not really be called 'natural pearls' because they were cultured pearls, and that writing 'natural colour' was also imprescise as they would have been bleached.

They did not exactly appreciate my interference. Here is a quote from the reply I got:
"That you know more about pearls than the average consumer is certainly a benefit to you, but we are very satisfied that we do not mislead our clients. You have singled us out to educate us about pearls, and I trust you will look at other pearl suppliers to examine just how low the industry standard in pearl information is, and you will notice that we are far superior in our descriptions."

I apologized for having offended them and went on to emphesize that it was really because I like them, I had written to them.

I think this was probably my only watch with the pearl police. I didn't like the way it made me feel.

Funny thing is that as I was writing this message, I went to their website to find the exact wording, and it has been changed :) At least it wasn't for nothing...

- Karin

Pearl policing is difficult. People don't always want to hear the truth, and since email has no voice, it's tricky, but you know where you were coming from so that's what's important!

Gemphora was using a logical fallacy:"Gee, officer, everyone else is speeding! I wasn't even the fastest one!"

I think their answer was very defensive and not at all interested in learning more. Only interested in maintaining the industry's low standards! Humph!!!

I have never heard of them before and I will not be shopping with them! And you can tell them about this thread! You have mentioned them several times, so anyone looking for info on them here, will find it.

Where is this company based? If it is anywhere in Europe they should be thanking you because they will be in breach of the very strict laws we have on describing goods for sale accurately
Oh, they are in America..your laws are not so strict as I understand them...?
They seem to describe everything as natural, and are also calling stick pearls biwas.

Last edited:
Hey Karin! I called someone out on Etsy who was selling 6mm button shaped "Tahitian pearl" earrings. He came back politely enough but wanted to know if I was an expert. I had to admit um, no, I'm not - felt so stupid after that that I haven't done it since......

The things that's sad is that I don't think that a lot of CONSUMERS care either! We have been interested enough to educate ourselves but I know a lot of people just don't CARE (my sister was telling me the other day that her sister-in-law was going to China and she asked her to pick her some "black pearls". I said "oh no - let me find you some Tahitians, I'm on a website" blah blah blah. She said "do you think I'd know the DIFFERENCE?" She was right, she wouldn't!)

- Jodie -

The things that's sad is that I don't think that a lot of CONSUMERS care either! We have been interested enough to educate ourselves but I know a lot of people just don't CARE (my sister was telling me the other day that her sister-in-law was going to China and she asked her to pick her some "black pearls". I said "oh no - let me find you some Tahitians, I'm on a website" blah blah blah. She said "do you think I'd know the DIFFERENCE?" She was right, she wouldn't!)

- Jodie -

I think you got a point there, Jodie. Perhaps on a personal level, the place to draw the line is whether people are being ripped off or not. On the other hand, Google is there for everyone to use. Anyone, who wants to make sure what they might be buying, can do research about pearl and end up here.

In the case of Gemphora, they are not that bad in my eyes since they don't overcharge for what they are offering. They weren't trying to make the goods look better than they were. They just weren't using the correct description. I might still end up buying two of those akoya strands since it is exactly the look I need for a 5-strand bracelet with a costume claps my mom left behind.

- Karin

A lot of the black tahitian fw pearl strand sellers also charge a freshwater price, so no one is getting ripped off for a Tahitian price- except the advertising was fraudulent- the buyer thinks they have a Tahitian.

Actually Karin, I think you were offering a slight correction to their text- not pearl policing them. Sometimes I tell people about typos on their web pages, sometimes I tell people they are mis-advertising a pearl. Usually people do make the correction and thank me for bringing it to their attention. Gemphora does have a higher than average quality site. They should not have been so defensive, which is what made you feel bad- because they did correct themselves, you deserve a thank you, not a prickle!

Jodie, you are probably more expert than most people. When some turns a question back onto you, it is another logical fallacy- a red herring kind of thing to change the subject.

How many button Tahitians are there out there? Your gut may have been right.

Advertisements are rich arenas for applying knowledge of logical fallacies. A couple of online articles cluing you into the major fallacies people use to defend their practices should help you see through weak defenses. People who argue with you when you offer a helpful correction may have known all along they were mis-stating the facts.

Next time you see something you don't like, run it by us over here before you write to them. You know how kind Pattye is. She writes people often. In a spirit of raising consciousness. Never know when that 100th monkey will get it.

Back