taking pictures of pearl jewellery

Hi Amrita, nope. Top to bottom, but that's ok; they're huge and I love to see them that way. Stacking is fine once I know Who's On First( Left, Right etc).

Hi Amrita, and Pearl Dreams, thanks for the suggestion. I made it fill the whole screen, no change. Maybe it's something about the way my stepdad has his program setup (he's even more Senior than I am, so he might've chosen this deliberately). I don't know if that's true for sure, but seems to me everything I've seen lately here has been stacked. It's still ok; I really, really really love the huge photos.:)

I think the photo turned out well..but also wondered how close to the actual colours is the strand on the left. The other two photos seem to be quite realistic in the colours..the one on the left looks different in colour. Beautiful I might add lol If you are concerned with detail of the pearls, do you think it would be a good idea to add a second shot with a close up that's representative of the surface quality? The are lovely pearls ! What size are they ? I don't know why but they look big !

Thanks for the replies, Katbran and Pearl Dreams.
Katbran, that was my point. The one that looks different is the photo taken in the lightbox. I sometimes feel that the lightbox mutes out the pearl features a bit although they still look lovely with lesser light reflections. The size of the pearls is 10-11 mm - so they are bigger than average. Yes, I love these pearls too - thanks!! :)

Perhaps the answer is to provide several photos of the same pearls-- with light box and without. It's more work, but buyers would have the best possible understanding of what the pearls look like before ordering.

However, they cannot know what the pearls will look like on their skin until they receive them, so this may have little impact on the number of returns.

Yes, I see what you mean.

Well, speaking only for myself, I prefer non-light box photos when I'm buying pearls as they give me a better idea of what I am likely to see when I wear them.
I don't live in a light box!

That said, I totally understand why vendors use their complex lighting systems. Artificial light often doesn't bring out the best in pearls, yet there is much too much variability in natural light at different times of day, different seasons, different weather conditions, etc. Really I understand why vendors turn to light boxes or other sophisticated camera lighting systems. Eventually buyers get a feel for what a particular look in a photo translates to in real life and under normal lighting. In the process there may be a few returns.

I do like it when buyers post their own photos of things they bought rather than just the vendor photos. It helps all of us who are thinking of a similar purchase.

Back