Tahitian pearl farming 2020

It's a great article. I hope you're right! And thanks to Blair for pointing out that in the Tahitian pearl section just below it, some of your pearls are also in a pic from my website!

Excellent prediction! Great article and great concept.

Yes, a big government system is one way to go...but your piece does not make clear whether individual pearl farms will be able to market individually and build brand or whether everything will go into a collective - in which case there will be a lot of civil servants assessing and paying for each pearl in a logistical nightmare
My own view on the situation is that there are two problems:
one: shipping, which on its own makes it impossible for me to buy direct from Josh since the shipping is almost more than the pearls for a small buy of a couple of hundred pearls
two: most pearls go through too many hands between the farmer and the eventual maker/retailer. each of these hands adds their own profit.
For me to buy at a price which is good for the farmer and good for me I need not to spend a lot on shipping and I need to buy direct so I get a good price which I can pass on to my customers - good price equals more sales which equals more pearls sold all round at prices which make sense for each end of the chain

Wendy, I'm workin' on it! Shipping is a huge anchor for now but the solution is on the horizon.
Also, I hope that everything we do does not have to bend to the god of Cheaper. I have heard it said that you do not eliminate the middle man/woman, you just do their job. Wholesaling and farming are two very different ball games. My real dream for the future would be to be making pearls, not selling them.

Hi Josh
I could see that shipping could be done on a group basis - one parcel a week from many farms to a diispatcher in the USA for eg would make a huge difference to individual shipping costs

and as for eliminating middle man etc - it is maybe the old thing about having a dog and barking yourself.

instead of thinking of it as wholesaling why not think of it as supplying direct a few select independents for mutual benefit

And unless we sell enough to make a living at least it is just a hobby which takes up a lot of time - like golf

Last edited:
Back