Stringing Pearls

Flycatcher, I think that's the nicest thing to do for your wife for her birthday. Trust it was appreciated! And I'm glad you redid it properly again afterwards.

I had a long rope of very inexpensive pearls that I had bought and sold as a finished product. Probably cost me about $20, but sadly they broke after a few wears (another reason why I don't buy much finished jewellery now, but string my own), and I had to restring the whole rope for my customer.... not exactly very profitable from a time perspective at all, but I couldn't bring myself to try to do a repair job only...

I thought that technique sounded a lot like splicing which is often used to finish a rope with no clasp.

I think knotty posted the link, but I don't remember where it is.

Hi
Those are ball and socket clasps. No magnet. Though Bella's Findings carries a magnetic clasp that slides open like a some of those new cell phones or a drawer. They are easy to use- I can do my own bracelet, but they are only available in SS too
Ball and socket style locking clasp 20x6mm

LINK It looks like a little trailer ball hitch; just insert and snap it locked. Easy to use, hard to lose.
Details

SKU 52200202
Weight 0.01 lbs
Price: $5.90

Attachments

• ball socket.jpg
    ball socket.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 44
splicing

splicing

I thought that technique sounded a lot like splicing which is often used to finish a rope with no clasp.

I think knotty posted the link, but I don't remember where it is.

Caitlin;
You are pretty close. I am impressed with your stringing insite. I am finishing a 21" 17mm
so sea ( get this) with 4 pairs of mystery clasps. Thats 8 holes up to 2.3mm wide and 4mm deep all drilled with 4 or 5 successive larger drills....Thanks for letting me vent.
Splicing can only be done if the necklace is knotted and the thread broken off then trimmed is fit inside the hole. a
knot is put on the remaining side and balance thru" the hole and finish knotted. This is like trying to describe a circular staircase without using your hands. Only temporary but amazing strong.

That's an especially useful tip if you are a firm believer in keeping your thread straight while knotting. Personally I have found darning needles too fat and the knots aren't close or tight enough for my taste. If I use a tool to guide the knot into place, I'll use a straight pin, but that's just me.

So when we organize this contest we will have to judge speed and quality? I think what pearl man is saying is. "Sure your fast, But are you good?" Man if that isn't a challange I don't know what one is. I don't know if I'd stand for it.

Keep in mind that my knotting skills would likely leave me dead on the floor strangled in my own thread. But I don't have to be a boxer to enjoy a good fight.

In the immortal words of Mills Lane "Lets get it on":D

Who is going to judge? I just finished a 21" 17mm and a 20" 14mm and a 17" 12mm knotted 1 bead at a time because the knots continued on slipping. It needed sliding up tight so the heavy pearls were less likely to stretch the thread....

It would be quite a mass online video of us knotting all at the same time?????

N aka pearlman

stringing

stringing

Hi
Those are ball and socket clasps. No magnet. Though Bella's Findings carries a magnetic clasp that slides open like a some of those new cell phones or a drawer. They are easy to use- I can do my own bracelet, but they are only available in SS too
Ball and socket style locking clasp 20x6mm

LINK It looks like a little trailer ball hitch; just insert and snap it locked. Easy to use, hard to lose.
Details

SKU 52200202
Weight 0.01 lbs
Price: $5.90

I have never seen these ball and socket...interesting...
In 14k or 18k the choices are limited...
I am on mission to investigate this clasp braclet stuff.
One handed folded works well. Now find in 14k.
Norm

I was taught to use bead tips, but I find that using French wire is more secure and looks better. It is easy to do.

Back