SSP vs FWP blemishes

massrog

I am looking at a necklace that looks to me like SSP/Tahitian (dark coloring) but the pictures I am seeing are distorted. My question for starters is if the "dimples" I see on most SSP strands to one degree or another are also a factor on FWP's. The surface looks to me exactly like the SSP strand that I bought my wife a while back with very sparingly scattered pinprick to very small pin head dents. The color also has me confused it is what I would describe as halfway between gold/pistachio and copper/bronze color. It is not uniform on each pearl like dyed FWP's and varies in shade and orient slightly prom pearl to pearl.
The overall effect reminds me of the darker tones on the Fiji pearls in some of the threads I've read. The close ups I've seen show them as pretty round but the longer view distorts many of the same pearl to more oval , thus my apprehension. Any insights would be very much appreciated. Thanks all!

I enlarged one pic and the middle pearl exhibits the dimple to which I referred.

Attachments

• copper pearls2 (2).jpg
    copper pearls2 (2).jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 47
There isn't enough information here to warrant a comment. This is possibly why no one else has said anything either. (And yes, I'm a little crabby today. My youngest son had surgery today, my G'daughter is working at a hospital and aphids had infested the broccoli I planned for supper. )

Last edited:
There isn't enough information here to warrant a comment. This is possibly why no one else has said anything either. (And yes, I'm a little crabby today. My youngest son had surgery today, my G'daughter is working at a hospital and aphids had infested the broccoli I planned for supper. )
Well I hope all went well for your son for sure and God bless you grand-daughter for her service! Here's hoping tomorrows menu is pest free!

Here is another shot showing a couple more pearls with dimples:

There is a dent on the pearl just left of the clasp at 11 o'clock and 2 on the pearl 2nd rom the clasp on the right 1 just above center and 1 at 9 o'clock. I finally figured how t post larger pictures. and another showing more pearls:

Sorry, I'm not able to help either. They could easily be dyed FW. Yes, bead nucleated FW can also have those blemishes.

I spent 2 hours picking and cleaning dandelion greens in my back yard for tonight's supper. Right now they are young and tender-- after they flower they turn tougher and more bitter. Dandelion greens cook down to almost nothing so you have to start with lots of them. I will pay for that exertion tomorrow, but that's what Tylenol is for. :rolleyes: I could not resist the chance to cook fresh greens.

Tomorrow I plan to pick many of the chives that are popping up in bunches all over my lawn, to snip and freeze them. It's Little House on the Prairie here these days. Or maybe I've turned into Olivia Walton, I don't know. Baking lots of bread for the family, also. Making so many soups.

I can't remember the last time I put any jewelry on.

Its a very unusual colour. Is this from an online store ? As mentioned above they could be Freshwater - it's hard to actually tell from the photo and the colour . Could you request some normal photos of the strand? It's possible they are a green with a bronze overtone. Definitely get more photos .

Patty - I hope your day has improved. My son and his wife are both on the front lines so I know how stressful it can be.

Its a very unusual colour. Is this from an online store ? As mentioned above they could be Freshwater - it's hard to actually tell from the photo and the colour . Could you request some normal photos of the strand? It's possible they are a green with a bronze overtone. Definitely get more photos .

Patty - I hope your day has improved. My son and his wife are both on the front lines so I know how stressful it can be.

I asked for some but this is the best they had...

Even the pearls that present as round in the other pics look like eggs here.

I've never seen SS pearls that color. They look like dyed FW pearls to me, too.

I hate it when jewels are described as "chocolate." Chocolate diamonds. Chocolate pearls. Brown. To me it says, "It's that color we don't want to mention." I apologize to those of you who do like brown gems. My Nana loved brown gems and I just didn't find them attractive.

OK, I bite my tongue. AzFlyGirl posted a pic of gorgeous bronze Tahitians, and now I feel like a fool.

Last edited:
Back