Southsea Pearl vs Edison Pearls

I think that all pearls colours can change, just because it doesn't exist any organic colour never changing. Even inorganic colours, like natural stones colours can sometimes change (azurite, zircon, etc...). At last, aragonite itself of pearls is changing to calcite, and pearls dye (but luckily after us, in usual conditions).

Of course all pearls change in lustre over time. It is the shocking speed with which some FWPs can turn that makes them perhaps not so attractive now.

I must say, though, that what ericw stated about purple, pink and red colours fading faster in another thread seems valid.

thumbnail.jpg

Pearlesence - We have hundreds of necklaces as well as Kilos of loose pearls. My opinion is that the colour has changed ....

Pearlesence - We have hundreds of necklaces as well as Kilos of loose pearls. My opinion is that the colour has changed ....

I know how you feel. They arrive a good strong lilac colour. And now they are a yellow pink, with some becoming creamy apricot (a colour I don't really like). They also are not as metallic as before. 3 years was all it took for mine. I did not believe London Pearl at first. I have never met him either. I simply remembered this lilac one and took it out of the drawer and there they were, colours and lustre changed. We don't smoke and we don't have pets. I did not put it in a safe. And I don't live in some murky place with lots of pollution all around.

I am sure others have had different experiences with theirs. It is just that FWPs can be quite dear so I am now turning to look at Southsea pearls.

I have never purchased this colour! They were a deeper pink / purple shade.

FWP lavender colour is a special case: some pearls have this colour because a very thin surface nacre layer covers a thick conchyoline layer. Then, an optical refraction phenomenon gives this kind of lavender colour. In other cases, nacre itself is lavender, as an homogeneous and thick coloured material. In the first situation, any variations, even the smallest, of optical properties of first thin nacre layer can change the colour ( and the lustre). Maybe these are that pearls which are more sensible? I have worked the two but I have not so much time hindsight to be sure, but if you have seen lavender to turn yellow, it might be the solution: thick conchyoline layer I am talking about is dust yellow or amber coloured.

Last edited:
I have never purchased this colour! They were a deeper pink / purple shade.

I'm wondering if the chemicals (if any) used to process the pearls have caused this color change. I'm not an expert, though, so I can only guess.

I am not sure that so many FWP than belief are dyed. Strong colours are the most probable, of course. I have met rare peach dyed pearls, but it's always on surface, and dying seems difficult to make deeply. Often, if you rub during five minutes smooth colour dyed pearl with acetone on a white paper tissue, you might see a little bit of colour to appear on the white, and pearl lose its colour. Now, aragonite can be strong dyed, unlike calcite, by some chemical reactions, with silver nitrate, mostly.
If you want to play, Pareltje, you bath your pearls first in silver nitrate, and after in potassium bichromate... They will turn in scarlet red, like cherries...

Last edited:
My opinion is that the colour has changed .... They were a deeper pink / purple shade.
View attachment 56576
Holly Molly! THAT's a BIG change!!

I have one lilac strand that went lighter, sort of pinkish now, but I never properly wore it and assumed that's what affected it.. the others I have, like whites, goldens and deep purples are fine.. only had them for a couple of years though :D :D

Years ago there was a fraudulent member claiming to own a strand of rare, supposedly-natural red pearls she called Lop Noors (which are non-existent.) People who have been on P-G for a long time might see it as an inside joke.
That is all. :p

Last edited:
Back