south sea siopao

I don't see much in the way of beautiful overtones or luster. I would keep looking. What size are the pearls?

are they south sea baroque do you think......if yes, what sort of grading would you give to them?

Those look like the chalky overprocessed freshwaters I once purchased at a local gem show. I agree with JerseyPearl, and I would not purchase these. The price is way too high.

Those are mediocre freshwater pearls and I agree, the price is absurdly high.

cocoa01, I want to recommend to you this highly informative, beautifully illustrated and affordable guide to buying pearls; IMO every pearl buyer ought to have a copy, but especially those who are new to pearl buying. The Chinese have greatly improved their culturing methods of freshwater pearls in the past 20 years and buyers need to be informed!

Pearl Buying Guide: How to Identify and Evaluate Pearls (6th edition) by Renee Newman. The 6th edition is the one you want; it is the most up to date (2017).

Available on Amazon and elsewhere:

http://reneenewman.com/pearl.htm

https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Buying...g+guide&qid=1556806226&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr0

I would say they are very poor quality. And if you're really up for a big boost to your learning curve, try the CPAA's Pearls as One course. It's currently being offered free of charge.

If you are located in the UK, Wendy (Pearlescence) is a gem. Many regulars have purchased from her.

Nice! Thanks for the tips, Pearl Dreams! Will definitely keep that in mind.

Freshwater pearl is much cheaper than saltwater pearl. They are probability freshwater pearl,not south sea pearl. Most of south sea pearls diameter in 8-18mm.
HTB1G.fteq1s3KVjSZFAq6x_ZXXaZ.jpg

the gold are 14mm...i am being asked to pay £600

OMG are those British pounds? No way are they worth anything near that price. With that much money you can find some really beautiful pearls. I agree with other posters here - browse around and learn more before spending anything.

View attachment 66922
View attachment 66923
Thanks everyone for your reView attachment 66923plies.....it is certainly I big learning curve. One more neView attachment 66923vklace fir yiyView attachment 66923r opinions please. I believe the champagne ones are dyed but don’t know if the white are south sea? If yes, ideas on value of necklace? Thanks in advance.

I agree with all comments. These are not South Sea pearls, they are very low-grade Chinese freshwater pearls.

Back