South Sea Purchase help

MelT

Hi,

I would like to introduce myself first. I am currently taking my Pearl Diploma course from GIA. I have been researching a lot about pearls and I would like to thank you guys for all the knowledge that you have shared in this forum. My love of pearls started when my husband bought me a pair of earrings from our holiday in Manila. I didn't knew anything about pearls at that time and I was just happy that my husband had been thoughtful enough to buy me a pair for our 12th year wedding anniversary. I happily showed them to my mother and she criticized them heavily, even after admitting she did not know anything about how to tell a real one from a fake one, or anything about pearls for that matter. It made me look closer at my pearls and had made me fallen in love with them. I then wanted to know more, because there is something about them that is just so amazing, which I cannot explain. After we got back here in Sydney, I was shocked at the prices of pearls that were being sold in Jewelry shops. Even for CFWP, the prices are rediculously high.

I have been researching the market and have been closely looking at what type of pearl jewelry women are wearing here. I have even approached and applied to work for 'Eastern Pearls' here in Sydney, to which I was sent by the a person from the Gemmological Assocation of Australia. Unfortunately they put their hiring on hold until next year. Even though I didn't get the job , the trip to their office made me want it more. We are currently setting up an online pearl business ourselves, but mainly focusing on Australian market and modern designs.

I would like your help on where should I buy my loose south sea pearls from. Where would it be cheaper for me to buy? In Hongkong or here in Australia? I am Planning to go to the Hongkong Trade show in September and maybe a side trip to Shanghai after the show to buy some CFWP. I have already looked online at some Australian wholesalers of south sea pearls. I think it is still pretty high because PP has a cheaper price for his retail items compared to them. Oh, by the way I am only looking to buy AA quality ones, I cannot afford the AAA just yet and it would not suit what I intend for my items as well.

So I need your advise on this because I am so :confused:

MelT

Welcome! Congrats on taking the GIA pearl course. Many of our members here with online stores shop in Hong Kong. Although I've never gone to HK myself, I think most buy CFWP there also. Why are you considering going to Shanghai for CFWP?

PP is able to buy in volume, which is why the prices are so good.

Thanks Pattye :)

I just thought to go to Shanghai as a side trip and want to see the Hongqiao Market there. I went to my local Flight centre and just out curiosity asked how much more it would cost me to include a trip to Shanghai and surprisingly cheaper than the price I got online for just a flight to Hongkong, for the trade show :) ,... but it will all depend on how much days off my hubby can take off from work .....

You'll find what you need in Hong Kong- the prices are much better there than actually in Australia; Pattye is right though in that the purchase should be in volume- that way you can spread out the pearls to get better value from your buy. Good luck! :)

Thank you for your advices , I appreciate it very much. Now I will just wait and get my stuff from Hongkong. I have a list of some wholesalers to visit, but I will just wait until I go to the Trade show in September.

Thanks again!

Back