South Sea pearls - opinions on quality please?

Hi Nurain,

I'm not sure about all the pearl activity in Sabah, I am from your neighbouring state. Are there a lot of experimental farms around Sabah? Because from my understanding, Edward Kong's farm is the only commercial SSP farm in Malaysia. Has this changed?

Your pearls are lovely!

Hi Valerene! Sorry for my late reply. We have established our farm since back in 1993 before we separated from our previous partner. We generally keep the business low as we already establish our market mainly in Japan to the third party. Hope this would clear some doubts in your mind :)

Nurain,

Magnificent pearls, do you wear them often?

Hi! Nope, I dont wear them often. A simple pearl pendant is just nice for me. This is only for a special occasion I guess :)

Last edited:
Those are some awesome pearls! I didn't know sabah has pearl farms, that is wonderfu news. I do know that sabah has a heck of a lot fish farms.

I am proud to say that the water quality in Sabah is good for aquaculture activities. But, I reckon the fish farm can't go along with pearl farm. It'd ruin the water quality. We are lucky that our farms are located at secluded area, far away from tourism and other farming activities. This is very important to maintain the quality in a long run.

Thank you everyone for the nice compliments! It's good to meet people who admire pearl as much as I do :) The golden strand that I showed in the picture belongs to my mum actually. It took quite some time for my dad to gather the strand to match the shade and quality. The size varies from 9mm to 15mm if not mistaken. Most importantly is to double the length from standard as mostly women here favour longer strand including my mum. so, there it goes for pearl hunting!

As we aware, it is hard to judge the quality of good pearls. But, I always believe that beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. My family always play a guessing game to guess the price of the chosen pearl. My dad would choose a pearl randomly and we had to guess the price. It's pretty interesting as no one really knows the price. But that always become an eye opener on how people look at a single pearl differently. People can always put the price, but always trust your gut instinct :) that's just my 2 cents.

I am proud to say that the water quality in Sabah is good for aquaculture activities. But, I reckon the fish farm can't go along with pearl farm. It'd ruin the water quality. We are lucky that our farms are located at secluded area, far away from tourism and other farming activities. This is very important to maintain the quality in a long run.

Sad but true, most fish farms use a miriad of chemicals that just changes the ecology of the sea. Not to mention the high density artificial wastes that causes algae and bacterial blooms and a horde of other side effects. There sre anfew companies in indonesia though that are trying polyculture of fish and pearl oysters and the results have been positive. However the old sayings i believe still remains true, the less muddled the water, the better the pearl.

Back