South sea or larger baroque Akoya?

S

Supernova

At first I was certain they were south sea but I’m going back and forth between the two now. I feel like there is more rainbow luster than with Akoya so just checking, with the EXPERTS. And only experts, please.

South Sea or baroque akoya?
Identifying pearls
Baroque akoya or South Sea?

Baroque akoya have a particular look about them. The nacre tends to clump a bit more than South Sea when grown irregular. Akoya also tend to have growths of nacre that appear more random. Free-form baroque South Sea can look more similar to baroque akoya, but are typically quite large, and still tend to have a different reflective quality.
When viewed side by side, the differences become readily apparent. Every baroque strand is different, so there isn't a single comparison photo that will be definitive.

I took the two shots below that show an example of the two types of baroque. The South Sea is the larger strand on the outside, and is still considered a small South Sea. It ranges from about 9 mm to 11.5 in the center. The baroque akoya is 9 mm.
Baroque akoya vs baroque South Sea 2.jpg
Baroque akoya and baroque South Sea 1.jpg

The South Sea's have that "creamy/dreamy milky luster" and the Akoya's have a "crisp mirror luster"...not sure how all of you "professionals" describe it.
It's like the difference between looking through a slightly opaque piece of glass and a crystal clear piece of glass. OR...
If they were candy...SS would be firm caramel, and Akoya's would be crystal clear see-through lollipops...like the Akoya's have been brought to a "higher boiling point..." Sorry, I'll stop. After all, I'm not supposed to be weighing in, as I am definitely not a professional!:censored:

Baroque akoya have a particular look about them. The nacre tends to clump a bit more than South Sea when grown irregular. Akoya also tend to have growths of nacre that appear more random. Free-form baroque South Sea can look more similar to baroque akoya, but are typically quite large, and still tend to have a different reflective quality.
When viewed side by side, the differences become readily apparent. Every baroque strand is different, so there isn't a single comparison photo that will be definitive.

I took the two shots below that show an example of the two types of baroque. The South Sea is the larger strand on the outside, and is still considered a small South Sea. It ranges from about 9 mm to 11.5 in the center. The baroque akoya is 9 mm.View attachment 463753View attachment 463754
Thank you so much. These are beautiful! And to everyone else I’m sorry I didn’t mean to come off any sort of way I just wanted to know from some one who knows and not thinks if that makes any sense.
I had a lovely strand of Baroque Akoya pearls and I understand the mirror like reflection, that the pearls here did not quite have, beautiful as can be but not the same as Akoya.

Please tell me, does the pink and silver undertones combined in one pearl indicate southern pearl?
I’m still getting a feel for the industry here and would love to learn from you all.
Thank you, for ALL of your input.

❤️

The South Sea's have that "creamy/dreamy milky luster" and the Akoya's have a "crisp mirror luster"...not sure how all of you "professionals" describe it.
It's like the difference between looking through a slightly opaque piece of glass and a crystal clear piece of glass. OR...
If they were candy...SS would be firm caramel, and Akoya's would be crystal clear see-through lollipops...like the Akoya's have been brought to a "higher boiling point..." Sorry, I'll stop. After all, I'm not supposed to be weighing in, as I am definitely not a professional!:censored:
Ahhh perfection in words, madam. You know your stuff. And I’m sorry I didn’t word this properly. I just like to learn from
Those with more knowledge than me, and that you have. So I welcome
This comment and it is highly helpful. The “creamy” appearance, like these.

Thank you, very much. I apologize

Ahhh perfection in words, madam. You know your stuff. And I’m sorry I didn’t word this properly. I just like to learn from
Those with more knowledge than me, and that you have. So I welcome
This comment and it is highly helpful. The “creamy” appearance, like these.

Thank you, very much. I apologize
No apology needed! We're all learning. I was truly, just kidding!

Last edited:
Thank you so much. These are beautiful! And to everyone else I’m sorry I didn’t mean to come off any sort of way I just wanted to know from some one who knows and not thinks if that makes any sense.
I had a lovely strand of Baroque Akoya pearls and I understand the mirror like reflection, that the pearls here did not quite have, beautiful as can be but not the same as Akoya.

Please tell me, does the pink and silver undertones combined in one pearl indicate southern pearl?
I’m still getting a feel for the industry here and would love to learn from you all.
Thank you, for ALL of your input.

❤️
Per the pink and silver undertones, I believe you're referring to the body color. This same body color can be found in other types of pearls and doesn't necessarily indicate the pearls are South Sea. It's quite common in freshwater pearls too.

What you're seeing with the akoya is a thin-film interference effect. The light reflects from the surface of the pearl, and penetrates and reflects from inner layers. This overlapping strengthens and weakens the light waves, which creates the colorful optical illusion (orient) you often see in akoya pearls with good nacre. It's similar to what happens with soap bubbles when light reflects from the front and back surfaces, interfering with each other.

Thin_film_interference.svg.png

Per the pink and silver undertones, I believe you're referring to the body color. This same body color can be found in other types of pearls and doesn't necessarily indicate the pearls are South Sea. It's quite common in freshwater pearls too.

What you're seeing with the akoya is a thin-film interference effect. The light reflects from the surface of the pearl, and penetrates and reflects from inner layers. This overlapping strengthens and weakens the light waves, which creates the colorful optical illusion (orient) you often see in akoya pearls with good nacre. It's similar to what happens with soap bubbles when light reflects from the front and back surfaces, interfering with each other.

View attachment 463788
Ahhh yes, I have learned much about this thank you, though. I was asking…. Okay so Akoya pearls have usually either one undertone color per pearl, but the pearls here in this post, show multiple undertones within the same pearl. I guess it is irrelevant.

I took the two shots below that show an example of the two types of baroque. The South Sea is the larger strand on the outside, and is still considered a small South Sea. It ranges from about 9 mm to 11.5 in the center. The baroque akoya is 9 mm.View attachment 463753View attachment 463754
Can you please tell me if these are akoya or south sea? I’m getting so confused between the two… I want to say south sea?

Are these baroque akoya? South Sea?

Back