Sourcing for Pearl Farm

Pink282

Hi Everyone. I'm new here.
I'm interested with Pearl recently and still studying on it.
I wish to know is there any pearl farm open for visit & enable to buy in bulk for Jewelry making purpose in Sabah?
As a beginner, I think I would start with freshwater pearl at this moment but information related with saltwater pearl I would love to hear also.
It would be great if all of you could provide me with information.
Thank you. :eek:

Welcome. :)

Usually, pearl farms don't sell directly to the public and if they do, it can cost more than buying them through a dealer or online. When they are processed, sorted, drilled and matched by a factory, it is worth the money added on to the cost for this service.

Even though South Sea pearls are grown in Indonesia, most are exported. Freshwater pearls are typically grown in China and you can get good deals online. If you are seeing freshwater pearls in the marketplace, they are probably imported from China. Starting with freshwater pearls is a great idea as saltwater pearls are costly.

Good luck with your jewelry making!

Welcome. :)

Usually, pearl farms don't sell directly to the public and if they do, it can cost more than buying them through a dealer or online. When they are processed, sorted, drilled and matched by a factory, it is worth the money added on to the cost for this service.

Even though South Sea pearls are grown in Indonesia, most are exported. Freshwater pearls are typically grown in China and you can get good deals online. If you are seeing freshwater pearls in the marketplace, they are probably imported from China. Starting with freshwater pearls is a great idea as saltwater pearls are costly.

Good luck with your jewelry making!

Thank you for your information.
I'm lived in Malaysia, so is it possible i able to get freshwater pearls or saltwater pearls at Sabah(Borneo) which had been processed by factory?
Or it is better that i get Freshwater pearl from China via online?
Since i'm near to Sabah, I plan to visit Sabah to source for pearl but no where to get start from.
Besides, to understand or more study on Pearl is it worth to get myself a GIA Pearl Certificate Course?
Sorry for so many question. :confused:

I wish I could help, but I have no knowledge of the area. Spend some time reading old posts here and you can learn a lot. GIA education is wonderful, but I would wait. Other people will comment soon.

Sabah is known for South Sea pearls. I believe it's where Edward Kong South Sea Pearls is based. We also had someone come onto the forum a couple years back who had built a website selling purported Sabah pearls, but they were all Chinese freshwater pearls. This leads me to believe there are sellers there who are selling pearls and making claims about their origin that isn't true.

In other words, be very careful. Unless you are spending tens of thousands of dollars for loose pearl lots, you aren't dealing with a farmer.

Hi Everyone. I'm new here.
I'm interested with Pearl recently and still studying on it.
I wish to know is there any pearl farm open for visit & enable to buy in bulk for Jewelry making purpose in Sabah?
As a beginner, I think I would start with freshwater pearl at this moment but information related with saltwater pearl I would love to hear also.
It would be great if all of you could provide me with information.
Thank you. :eek:

Hi Pink282,
I think the closest place where you can source pearls is Indonesia. Golden south sea pearls are grown in the area of Lombok island and some in the area of Kendari, Sulawesi and Raja Ampat, Papua.
I know there is a company Atlas Pearls and Perfume on Bali but I don't think they are farmers.
Good luck!

Hi Pink282,
I think the closest place where you can source pearls is Indonesia. Golden south sea pearls are grown in the area of Lombok island and some in the area of Kendari, Sulawesi and Raja Ampat, Papua.
I know there is a company Atlas Pearls and Perfume on Bali but I don't think they are farmers.
Good luck!

They are definitely farmers. They specialize in growing white South Sea pearls though. They are the ones hosting PG's next pearl farm trip in Bali.

They are definitely farmers. They specialize in growing white South Sea pearls though. They are the ones hosting PG's next pearl farm trip in Bali.

Jeremy,
Thanks for the info. I thought Atlas is a company owned by Australians like Paspaley. Whether they are farmers or just designers/sellers I wasn't sure. You confirmed it. Next time I visit Bali I'll try to check it there.

Jeremy,
Thanks for the info. I thought Atlas is a company owned by Australians like Paspaley. Whether they are farmers or just designers/sellers I wasn't sure. You confirmed it. Next time I visit Bali I'll try to check it there.

You're right. It is an Australian company, but it operates farms in Indonesia. They are actually one of the sponsors of www.pearlsasone.org.

You're right. It is an Australian company, but it operates farms in Indonesia. They are actually one of the sponsors of www.pearlsasone.org.

Good to know, Jeremy!
Are they also the company which managed to create round pearls from Pteria penguins? I remember Kojima carried them once.

Back