souffle pearls

I saw Newberry model this strand in person, and it really popped against her skin. The glamour photo helps tell why, with so many of the pearls having a bluish cast to the colors/overtones. A nice match of pearl strand to wearer. And, I love the wonderful shapes and the light weight of these pearls. I hope that Jeremy can find more in the future.

Really special soufflés, Hisano and Newberry (and Jeremy). They look fabulous on both of you!

I wasn't sure where to post, and opted to bump this topic. Hope that's okay?
I purchased a souffle pearl on eBay (trusted vendor). I can sense a small ball of dried muck inside the pearl, which is vaguely amusing. The pearl has been half-drilled and is ready to go as a pendant; should I try to dissolve the muck, or just leave it? I seem to recall reading that the muck has a powerful smell, so I'm reluctant to soak it in water. Thoughts?

I wasn't sure where to post, and opted to bump this topic. Hope that's okay?
I purchased a souffle pearl on eBay (trusted vendor). I can sense a small ball of dried muck inside the pearl, which is vaguely amusing. The pearl has been half-drilled and is ready to go as a pendant; should I try to dissolve the muck, or just leave it? I seem to recall reading that the muck has a powerful smell, so I'm reluctant to soak it in water. Thoughts?

It doesn't really smell bad. You can take a needle and shoot some hydrogen peroxide into the pearl and it should push it out.

haha what a coincidence this thread is bumped today. I'm wearing my souffle strand today...
Wow terrible office lighting...
IMG_6126.jpgIMG_6128.jpg

It doesn't really smell bad. You can take a needle and shoot some hydrogen peroxide into the pearl and it should push it out.

Thank you!

What's a provoked pearl? I keep seeing the term, but I don't understand how it differs from a regular cultured pearl, even if the nucleus is mud vs. a shell bead.

I haven't blogged about the Tahitian souffle yet, but here is a photo of Hisano wearing one in Tahiti.

We happened upon one lot at the Hong Kong show in September. A farmer had been holding them before they could be exported and tried to sell them at the show. His asking price was very high and he only wanted to sell the lot without selection - some were nice others not. I don't remember exactly how much he wanted for the lot, but it was somewhere between $70,000 and $80,000. I don't think he sold it.

View attachment 56903

Jeremy Shepherd
President and Founder
PearlParadise.com, Inc.
The PearlParadise.com YouTube Channel
PearlParadise.com on Flickr
PearlParadise.com on Facebook
Some of My Favorite Pearly Finds on Instagram

So, Jeremy or anyone...can the Tahitian souffles be exported now? I guess they can if the three precious models above, Hisano, Newberry, and KaySD are wearing them.

Back