Something your rarely see ... natural pearl strands from Central America

jshepherd

They are all on temporary strands - natural pearls from Central America. I just helped with the drilling and matching.

natural pearl strands

These wouldn't be shipwreck pearls, would they?

100% wild stock with no keshi mixed in. They are all the smaller pearls that are found on a regular basis by locals and as industry byproduct. I was given a pretty large bag of them with a request for a "small pearl" driller. I gave them to my partner Mr. You at the Hong Kong show and he had them drilled and matched at his factory. He sent them back on temporary strands
The pearls are not mine so not for sale, of course. But they are rare so I thought the P-G NCNs would enjoy.

I would assume they are a mix of P. mazatlanica and P. sterna.

Very nice, I like the colour mix of them! I hope the owners will enjoy wearing them, now the pearls can be knot!

You're right. Beautiful colors.

Hi Jeremy,

Can you tell us a bit more about the colors and the overtones? Do they have the rainbow shades we often see in keishi? They are awesome! What are the size ranges generally, besides small?

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

What is it going to happen with them?

The bunch looks like a nice torsade, but there seem to be several qualities... begging for different fates. :rolleyes:

The colors are not very dramatic but they cover a wide range. There are darks and lights, blacks and whites. There is nothing spectacular about the quality other than the volume.

I think the owner actually does plan on making a torsade with them. He has mentioned a clasp large and exotic enough to feature all the pearls. That is why I shot the temporary piece as it is.

It is quite the necklace!

Wow! So many pearls. Multiple necklaces or is someone going to wear this as a single torsade? That doesn't seem fair to bunch them up like that. My suggestion is that they be evenly distributed amongst forum members. Just a suggestion....

jshepherd said:
I think the owner actually does plan on making a torsade with them. He has mentioned a clasp large and exotic enough to feature all the pearls.

Sounds rather logical. There seems to be enough material for matching earrings too (I mean, hoops or half hoops of the similar torsade arrangement).

When it comes to bold jewelry built around rough beauty, I love these guys to death. Their pieces of green Turban Shells practically give me nightmares... It's hard enough to find anything along the same line (maybe THIS? A different brand of humor, though.). And a substantial part of the attraction of these models is the simple hopelessness of knockoff attempts ;) These being said, a composition 'in the style of' is always possible, given inspiration and a good bench address... Got carried away a bit, I suspect :rolleyes:

Ingykiz said:
My suggestion is that they be evenly distributed amongst forum members. Just a suggestion....

Couldn't possibly disagree! :D

... but... what would you do with a short strand of such small, uneven pearls? Wouldn't they be lost in context?

Last edited by a moderator:
HUMMMM---

How about multiple strands of about 40" pearls? they could be worn all at once long, doubled and twisted for the torsade (love that!) or for a loose drape doubled, it would hang longer for a totally different look. I would find some small smooth gem nuggets to work in randomly and make some tassel earrings---well, just dreamin'------

Or with my 2 little strands per Ingykiz suggestion, make a double strand to use like a chain with my pearl pendants,

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

pattye said:
How about multiple strands of about 40" pearls?

Speaking on behalf of five strands of minute seed pearls, that's about the most versatile piece of pearl jewelry I can think of! :cool:

With the only caveat that it needs a wearer who likes fiddling with their jewelry to reach full potential.

Valeria101 said:
Speaking on behalf of five strands of minute seed pearls, that's about the most versatile piece of pearl jewelry I can think of! :cool:

With the only caveat that it needs a wearer who likes fiddling with their jewelry to reach full potential.

I agree with both of you. It would be much nicer to have a really long, but thinner, torsade to play with.

Pearls are so tactile...;)

There are some rather round strands there... which make me think of THIS little devil :p

It wouldn't even need a clasp - although, perhaps... a pair of larger 'stations' (i.e. macroscopic pearls with some semblance of setting) wouldn't hurt. I'm writing this knowing all too well that bench work is what is to be minimized or even avoided here. :eek:

There's one thing about these long ropes - they turn in skinnier torsades when doubled into one, compared to a non adjustable torsade. Well, unless you have a really serious, heavy rope... which may not have the expected fiddling potential anyway.

Back