Some of Caitlin's Pearls

Wow Caitlin, that last one is a stunner. What great baroques!! I would love to see it worn.. Maybe recruit one of your modelesque nieces for the shot? You have infected me with this passion. I have an order in from Integrity pearls that I am dying for. They had a fantastic sale over Easter, so I bought a bunch of different strands to play around with. i even ordered a strand of largish red, not as big as your faux Lop Noors, but the color on the screen looked yummy.

Wow - Caitlin, that is fabulous! I love all of your pearl creations, but that is my hands-down favorite. It looks like it should be the cover photo on some wonderful book...

Wow. Thanks. I really got to keep in mind that people read my posts!

Any credit for the last one has to go to Pearl Paradise. All I did was knot it up. But thanks.

Actually I think I should move most of this thread to the lowly beader's club and just feature the high quality pearls over here.

My collection is mostly commercial grade pearls and I love them. However, I was happy to find a source for quality pearls for prices I could afford from PP and now I am building up a really nice collection.

I wish I could get the nieces to pose wearing my creations. That pic was taken 10 years ago and they are off on their own now. My sis-in-law, Lulu (also a beader) takes fantastic photos of family members. Everyone looks great (except me).

I'll put the potpourri with baroque pearls necklace on my eldest daughter soon.

This one is not quite done but I wanted to put it up. Recognize the pearls?

Attachments

• smallwhite w rondels 006.jpg
    smallwhite w rondels 006.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 47
Gorgeous, Caitlin,
Being older now, I love lots and lots of pearls around my neck and so my favourite has to be the long rope of multi colours and shapes.
But the last necklace is beautiful.... I wonder what a double row would look like......

Love the "mixed bag" necklace. I would definitely wear one of those. It would look so cool with sun dresses and dress up jeans.

Great job Caitlin and thanks for sharing.

They are both really beautiful. Boo said it looks like it belongs on a book cover, it reminds me of something that would be in a fashion magazine. So where are the pearls from the second one from?

The pearls in the last one are some of my favorites, ever. The pearls are 11mm with very finely wrinkled skins which show fabulous iridescence playing on the surface. They are the pearls that get the most reaction when I wear them, second only to my peacock klonks. They are 11mm actual size, which means the new Chinese sizing would probably call them 12-13mm.

I wear one plain strand for breakfasts and lunches out, a two strand version for dinners, and this one is suitable for a fine night out, such as at the opera.

I will not wear this one though, My opera-singing daughter in law is in line for it. Funny thing, we all went to the wedding of one of my son's oldest friends last weekend. Out of 150 people, guess how many were wearing my necklaces? Maybe 10. Several were wearing strands another friend bought from me last Xmas and passed out as gifts to friends and clients.

I am so small time, and I take such a simple approach compared to some of the talent here, but I still get such a kick out of people loving my necklaces.:D

Gosh Caitlin,

Are those the Funky Pearls??? They look Amazing!!! Guess I better get busy, huh!! You have hands down won the Designer Challenge!!

And I am guessing those are Swarovski rondelles----

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Caitlin Williams said:
This one is not quite done but I wanted to put it up. Recognize the pearls?

Hi Caitlin,

are these Freshwater Nuggets?

Lovely rope, but I like uniform size better!

Hugs

P.S. Today some of my colleages admired the black dyed CFWPs, You know the large ones. D.S. :)

Buttons back to back with something inbetween... seem such an OBVIOUS way to make use of them! (and, of course, this is the first time I see this).

Those pearls should thank you, Caitlin! :cool:

Ok Here is a picture of two of the biggest CFWP I have had the privilege to know. They are going to a new home today.....

Please notice: the center strand is my very first klonk. I keep that one, pits and all. It measures an actual 12mm+ on every pearl. That means it would be called a 13-14mm in today's lingo.

So the white one in the middle is quite a bit larger. As you can see it is the size of a nice SSP necklace. The luster is nice but a bit uneven, which is why they didn't cost a large fortune. The outer long black one is also made with huge pearls. They are quiet pearls, but they do have a soft, blue-green luster.

Attachments

• smallPattyes 011.jpg
    smallPattyes 011.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 44
Caitlin,
I have never seen "klonks". Is that an actual term or just a forum slang? Do you test drive all of your stands before they leave you? I really like the variety of your strands-I wouldn't be able to part with any of them!

HI Ingykis

Sorry I missed your post before.

Klonks are pearls of 10-11m and over. It is the sound they make when rattled. Little pearls klink and medium size pearls clank. I have some pearl sticks that tinkle though, so it must have to do with the shape.

I did not hear the term before I came here, but having heard it, I love it. It works for me because I can hear the different sounds. They also sound completely different than faux pearls whether glass, or plastic. (I don't know about Majoricas, though)

I was thinking some of those "lump of coal" pearls like I sent you, Pattye. They are humongous, most are 14+mm, and the color would match pretty well.

I edited to add that they were strung on silk, which stretched the first time I wore them! This is the strand that was the impetus to find really strong non-stretchy thread.....

Attachments

• 12+mm long crop.jpg
    12+mm long crop.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Caitlin Williams said:
I was thinking some of those "lump of coal" pearls like I sent you, Pattye. They are humongous, most are 14+mm, and the color would match pretty well.

Oh boy, those are perfect for Pattye's ideas! As for "lump of coal", is that describing the colour, consistency or shape? Seriously, they are perfect.

Slraep

I was referring to the color size and shape, but truly I think they have an understated beauty in their color. The strand in the picture went to my sister. My sister is named Leila Margaret. That literally means black pearl. She got the name, I got the pearl passion.

They are seriously the biggest pearls I ever got my hands on.

I was just looking to see if I have any more. I think Pattye got the last of the super grandes. Here is a pic of the white strand I sent her, also seriously huge.

I still have a couple necklaces like the strand on the outside in this picture.

The strand on the inside has pearl which are mostly 12+mm for size comparison.

Attachments

• smallPattyes 011.jpg
    smallPattyes 011.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Here is a photo of the last of the lumps of coal. They truly are battle-scarred pearls.

Attachments

• lumps of coal 004.jpg
    lumps of coal 004.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Here is my latest photo of one of my favorites. The pearls are from Icompacks (anyone have a clue what the correct spelling is or have a link?) I bought the abalones from eBay for a very piddling amount- $6 or so. They are from the forties and from California. The tiny seed pearls are from Pearl Emporium- or maybe Evergreen at the gem show a coup;le of years ago.
I mostly wear this when I don't wear my ropes.

Attachments

• abalone pearl necklace 009.jpg
    abalone pearl necklace 009.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 36
Back