Small Tahitians in style?

We can only wish the mark-up was less, Pernula!!!

When I was at Nordstrom Fine Jewelry dept in the early 90's we marked all up 2.5 x cost, no matter if it was our stock or memo. We were told most other stores marked up higher, at least 3X. So that is my experience.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Just wanted to add that when we get the retail value appraisals on the pearl items we buy from our online friends here, they are not inflated appraisals. They truly reflect that the item has not passed through many hands and been marked up multiple times along the way. :)

Pattye

I like the idea of 7 - 8 mm Tahitians, particularly in a double strand that could also be worn as a rope.

pattye said:
When I was at Nordstrom Fine Jewelry dept in the early 90's we marked all up 2.5 x cost, no matter if it was our stock or memo. We were told most other stores marked up higher, at least 3X. So that is my experience.

Is 3X what some people call "triple keystone"?

Thanks,
pernula

You've got the right idea, Pernula, I didn't explain so clearly as you!

Pattye

Josh,
I think your pearls are gorgeous.. Even though the larger pearls are so popular right now, I can't see why there isn't a market for the smaller pearls as well.. Great site too!

If you look in magazines and catalogs, jewelry in general is large right now. Beads are oversized, pendants are huge, etc. Could it be a trend to keep up with our growing nation? Health statistics say people are getting larger.

ebwootten said:
If you look in magazines and catalogs, jewelry in general is large right now. Beads are oversized, pendants are huge, etc. Could it be a trend to keep up with our growing nation? Health statistics say people are getting larger.

Most trends in style are cyclical, but I think you are right about catering to the l-a-r-g-e-r getting crowd. Everything in the women's accessories department seems to be oversized and overdone these days. Some stores around my place are carrying only one or two small sizes in certain clothing, while in X-large, there is a whole rack of the same stuff available. I suppose the larger jewellery is to go with the larger sizes.

Slraep

Wow, another answer avalache. Thanks for the positive feedback everyone.
I'll try to answer the couple of questions asked.

Yes, we can drill at what ever diameter you want for. Drill bits cost a fortune (like everything else) here in Tahiti so we have to charge for it.

Small pearls do indeed tend to have more color than larger ones. This is because the host oyster can process the graft tissue and get it working much easier/quicker. The bigger the nucleus in the first graft operation, the harder it is for the oyster to incorporate it successfully. In a couple words, the smaller the graft the higher the quality and the darker the color.

pattye said:
We can only wish the mark-up was less, Pernula!!!

Pattye

When I was slingin' fine stones, we usually recommended a 1.5 markup- no wonder Nordstroms is one of the last bastions of people with too much money :rolleyes:

But then, that wasn't the early 90's either- seems to me that margins have dropped through the basement floor for retailers across the board these days... IMO

Small pearls do indeed tend to have more color than larger ones. This is because the host oyster can process the graft tissue and get it working much easier/quicker. The bigger the nucleus in the first graft operation, the harder it is for the oyster to incorporate it successfully. In a couple words, the smaller the graft the higher the quality and the darker the color.

Hey Josh,

That's pretty much the answer I expected, but really only something you can verify from a genuine farmer who participates actively in perliculture!

Thanks!

Josh said:
Wow, another answer avalache. Thanks for the positive feedback everyone.
I'll try to answer the couple of questions asked.

Yes, we can drill at what ever diameter you want for. Drill bits cost a fortune (like everything else) here in Tahiti so we have to charge for it.

I dig those smaller pearls, would make great studs for my wife, she is only 90 something pounds, so they wouldnt look like planets rotating around her head. If they have higher quality and darker color, then you cant go wrong. Go with the contrarian/niche idea Josh. If all you do is follow the crowd then you give up great opportunities. Americans do like large things, but what about europe or asia...

Back