Silver/goldsmithing

Mervione

I?m not sure how lowly this subject is so it might not fit in here, but I thought I should make a thread about people that make their jewelry from scratch, that make their own metalbeads, their earwires etc.

I?m asking because tomorrow I?m going on a silversmithing course and I?m totally fired up about it! But very nervous too... It would be nice with a thread where people that are new to this or people that are professionals can discuss silver/goldsmithing.

Personally I think it?ll be great to get to learn this, because I expect that it?ll give me more freedom when it comes to designing my jewelry and might help me out in my jewelry making business.

I've just signed up for a silversmithing class as well :cool: It starts in two weeks. I've done a tiny bit of metalsmithing before but it was a few years ago. I can't wait to be able to actually solder the ends of my chains and make my own rings and bracelets!

I did some silver work about **** years ago, then stopped. I got as far as having my own hallmark. Now I want to have the time to start to do it again. I still have all the tools etc but need the time - and I have forgotten most of everything!
So please post everything and remind me what to do.

Beads? Oh that is easy. Most schools make it harder than it needs to be. I learned a slick trick at the Appalacian Craft center that makes it easy. So any help I can give I will. Tools are important. Some you pay way too much for and can get other tools cheaper. Then there are ones that you cheap out on and should have paid the extra cost. Ask me and I will help on that as well. OHHHHH this will be fun. I can actually help out here while I learn from ya'll about pearls.

Aggie.P said:
Beads? Oh that is easy. Most schools make it harder than it needs to be. I learned a slick trick at the Appalacian Craft center that makes it easy. So any help I can give I will. Tools are important. Some you pay way too much for and can get other tools cheaper. Then there are ones that you cheap out on and should have paid the extra cost. Ask me and I will help on that as well. OHHHHH this will be fun. I can actually help out here while I learn from ya'll about pearls.

Aggie, we are all looking forward to your helping us with your expert metalsmithing knowledge. Oh, yes, it will be fun! And in return, we will be glad to give you lessons about pearls and maybe other things.

We used to have superperforating pearl scholar on our forum a while ago. Too bad you missed that.

Slraep

Beginning metalsmthing classes usually start with beginning fabrication techniques. Sawing, forming, polishing, and soldering. While they may seem a bit boring to start, they are skills you will build on as you learn more about making your own jewelry. Polishing and soldering were the hardest for me to become proficient at and I'm by no means a master at them yet. But they are the skills that I have found to be most valuable. They take a lot of practice, so don't be discouraged if they seem difficult at first.

If you are going to be fabricating your own findings, I would recommend getting a tumbler to help you with your finishing. A small tumbler with some stainless steel shot make finishing your findings WAAAY easier.

Polishing is boring, I remember that!
I am trying to track down a small amount of paraffin to lubricate my aged block of jeweller's rouge to get it onto a polishing mop. It seems to be sold only in 5l containers and that would keep me going for about 100 years of continuous polishing

Get and adjustable saw frame about 3" is a good starter. When you break the blades (you will break lots of blades) you can then reattach the smaller parts and get more usage instead of continually putting in new ones. I also wasnt to stress use plenty of the wax of your choice on the blades. Waxed blades work better and break less. An old candle stump works fine, or you can buy the expensive stuff. Files I would invest in really good ones. Taken care of they will be around for a very long time. cut #2 is the standard in jewelry, but I found i had both #2 and #4's. Also needle files are your best friends. Get some of that liquid gunk at hardware stores that replaces the plastic coating on tools. You can dip it in several times and build up a good grip. The plastic will help to protect your hand from the needle file shanks. Go to hard ware stores and get 200 400 800 1200 and 2000 grit sand paper. Ask them for those long stick paint stirrers. Then get a nice stapler. Take the paper and measure it agains the width of the stick. use a scribe lightly to score a line where the width is. do this for the edge as well then the next section of the stick. You'll end up with a thick, thin, thin, thick......on and on to the end of the paper. Now go back and staple (oh you should start with a thin strip shows I'm thinking too fast) staple that thin section onto the paint stirrer edge. Then fold the paper around it and staple a couple of times at alternating edges. This is a very good sanding stick that can be made new again by slowly taking sections of the sand paper off as it wears out. You will pay big bucks for a one time use stick in the jewelers supply places. Pliers are subjective. You need them to fit your hands more than you need the best. good round nose, flat nose and half round (chain nose) are the standards. Get good cutters. I have some yellow handles linstrom ones, and while others have worn out, these have lasted like the energizer bunny. Also for good shears get Joyce Chem kitchen scissors. I alos have some great rose pruning shears that are marvelous. Polishing is not so bad if you have the right equipment and abrasives. lots of tricks to make it quicker and better. I agree get a thumbler and SS shot. The plain steel shot rusts if not treated and it becomes a pain in the butt to have to take care of. But DO NOT get the cheapo thumblers off ebay. They wear out in months of not har usage. I hate paying retail unless I have too, and making tools keeps the prices down.

I took one years ago and loved it. I've been wanting to take another course too, but I'm so busy with my two year old and don't seem to have time for anything else right now...sigh.

There is one huge headache that beginners often create for themselves. That is, terminally clogged files. I have seen a person clog a file so thoroughly that it couldn't be cleared and had to be discarded--and, in less time than you might think possible. So-when you get your first file(s) get a file cleaner at the same time. It is a sort of wire brush and looks like a wool carding tool. Use it often and well. Check your file every few strokes until you're very familiar with your need for frequency. Silver will clog a file about 3 or 4 times faster and more thoroughly than gold. Be careful or you can ruin that expensive file. Also, I agree that for most file work one should buy very high quality files. However, this does not always mean the most expensive. If you will go to a good hardware store that stocks quality tools and look through all their different kinds of files you will find some that, although they may not be exactly the same shape as "jewelry" files, will serve some of your needs very well. you will also pay about 25% to 35% of what an official, imported, "jewelry" file will cost you and, if chosen carefully, will be just as high in quality. The one exception to this is the barrette file. I find this to be a necessary, must-have file and can't seem to find domestically made ones. In the mid nineteen-seventies I found a stash of Nickelson barrette files, full size, no 2's for $2.00 each at a rock shop. I bought them all and stored them in oiled paper. Eventually I wore them all out (gave a couple away) and have never been able to find them again. They were as good as anything made in Europe. Still looking. . . Another suggestion is to get a selection of the larger, 8" needle files in #4 or even #2 cut. They are the most useful files I have. I think Rio sells them but not sure.

Another item I've seen few jewelers use but I have found very useful from the beginning is a filing pad. It consists of a cast iron holder about 4" X 2.5" that makes a frame for a rubber pad. Screwed down to the edge of your bench, it keeps your work from sliding all around while you file on it. They're cheap and more than worth it.

Also, I keep a number of those expensive, "one-time" sanding sticks around. After I wore them out (About 25 years ago) I found that they are the absolute best base for a staple-on sanding stick. They are thicker and stiffer and yet not so long and clunky as a paint stirrer, give you a better sharp-edge to sand with when needed and the sides, being at least a quarter of an inch across are very useful for narrower areas. I generally use sandpaper in 320, 400 and 600 grit and find little use for sandpaper finer than 600 grit. Occasionally, rarely, 800 is usefull to prepolish and help preserve sharp edges, but beyond that, skilfull use of tripoli or bobbing compound and the appropriate buffing wheel (and they come in many configurations, muslin (both stitched and loose), felt (hard or soft), wood, and in sizes for from flexshafts to full size buffing units, will in almost all cases do the job faster and just as well or better, without the constant clogging that fine sandpapers are subject to. As in any of the bench jewelers skills, time and practice, practice, practice is required to do these things properly and well. I would also say that if one has to polish something on the buffing unit long enough to get bored, there is a very good chance that one hasn't done their pre-polish work properly and/or thoroughly.:cool:

Last edited:
Marcus:

Thanks for the tip about the filecleaner, I?m sure that will be very useful and I had no idea about it before now. I remember that when I were in 3-9th grade we were working in wood and the files always became clogged really quickly and they were hard to work with when they were clogged. So anyway, I can basically just get files on any hardware store except for the barette file? (I?m not sure what a barette file is... Tried googling it but no success.) That sounds like good news to me. But, if the "jewelry"-files are made in Europe, and I live in Europe, then maybe the price difference wont be as much if I find a physical shop here that sell "jewelry" files? How do you tell if a file is of good quality? What shape of file do you use for what kind of work? I?ve looked through my Riogrande catalogue and there?s so many files to choose from and I get all confused... Different shapes, different cuts, different sizes... Do you use needle files for delicate detail work and the big files for the rough work? And what cut am I likely to use the most? Also, what?s the difference between "german cut" and "swiss cut"? Which one are you referring to? Also, if I?m looking for files in a Swedish hardware shop, will the cuts be different here as well? Many questions...

I will keep the filing pad in mind and see if I think it`ll be useful for me when I?ve tried some filing later today.

I?ll keep the sanding sticks in mind as well, I like the fact that they are good for narrow areas, in everything I do, especially artistic things, it?s important for me to have control over what I do. I?ll bookmark this thread and go back to check for gritsizes. Oh, another question, I looked around on a Swedish hardware store because I wanted to check if they had any sandpaper in the right grit sizes but they only have weird sizes like 60, 120 and 180... Do you think they are using a different grit size system here?

What is tripoli, bobbing compound and buffing wheel?

Thanks a lot for taking time to help me out.

Aggie:

What size of saw blades should I get? I guess that depends on how thick the sheet I?m sawing is...

Get 0/2 to begin with. it is a good standard size. Also if you know of good woodworking stores in Sweden getthe powdered grit. You can get a small stick end wet then dip it in the grit and use it for detailed work of sanding. There is also the string trick of running it over a piece of wax then through the grit. It can clean out hard to get at holes. The grits you have of sandpaper are the coarser stuff. Marc and I are talking about the fine stuff. I used the relly fine on smaller pieves since it was easier to do for me than going to the big buffing wheel. If you don't have access to the big buffer the sand paper and such will do short term. Save up and get a good flex shaft machine. Files you will need are flat or hand file, half round and a round. There are others that are good too and each person has their favorites. Mine is a birds tongue file. Essentially it is the smallest crossing file you can get in a #4 cut. You'll find as you go along that there are certain things you do a lot of with your designs, and you will gravatiate to the files that do the best job for you. Grobet is one of the top file companies and they are out of Switzerland. Also if you know someone who has a broken large saw blade one that is about 1/2 inch wide by say 6 to 8 inches long, get it. An old saw blade from a hack saw is the best thing to use (with gloves) to clean out your buffing wheels when they get over charged and clogged. Couldn't sleep and now I'm ready to go back to bed. If you have more questions or want to find a cheaper alternative just ask.

Now that I'm awake again, the grit size is guaged funny. The lower the number the coaurser the grit. so the 60 is reall coarse. Tripoli and such compounds are brick like stuff that is semi soft but still hard enough to hold together. You rub them on the buffing wheels to do what is called charging it. Or getting it worked into the surface of the buffing wheel. A buffing wheel is a large round disc that is screwed/secured into/onto a machine so that it can rotate. You have the large ones in a stand alone large buffing machine that usually holds two wheels one on each side of a the central machine. You can stand in front of it and hold the item to be polished up against it. The other type are small little things that fil into the palm of your hand. Those get secured to a spindle that is like a little rod, then placed into a the business end of a flexable shaft unit. You use the small ones sitting down at your bench to polish more delicate areas usually, or if you don't have the big buffing machine (do get one it makes life so much easier) it will be your only polishing and cutting etc machine to use.

Don't buy the fancy pikle pots, buy a cheap crock pot used in the kitchen to put your pickle in. I go to yard sales and find mine for practially nothing. I have three that I run all the time. Two for copper (one used as a pusedo patina pot and the others for straight pickle of copper or silver. Alson in a pinch if you have a swimming pool supply place close, you can get swimming pool acid until you can get resupplied with the pickle compound. Trick with it is to dump and make fresh often, or you get a really bright glow in the dark chartuese green finish on all things you do.

Hi Aggie

Wow, lots of information. Will keep the things about saw blade size, files and grit sizes in mind. It sounds good that you don?t need many different types of files.

How much does the machine you add the buff wheel to costs? It sounds expensive... How expensive are the other options?

About the pickle pot... Does it have to be in a certain metal? I think you should probably avoid iron, right? What about other materials?

I just came home from the course. I got the time all wrong and had to wait 3 hours extra until I could start... It was very funny and interesting. We started with drawing a small design on a paper and then glue the paper on a small sheet of metal. (Is the glue part something you usually do? We did it so we?d know where to cut. Maybe there?s other ways.) Then we had to saw it.

We got 12 sawblades each. I broke all except for 3. Even if I did use the broken parts in the adjustable frame... Sigh. I think I?m starting to get the hang of it though, the hard part is when you get into corners and have to turn the saw... Ugh. Slowly getting the hang of that too. My design was quite complex I think, was a flower with leaves and a flower stem, so I got into a few corners.

My arm and hand got quite tired. My hand even started to cramp a couple of times. I guess I?m not used to it and I should probably have rested more.

Next time we?re using the mill to make a sort of chain bracelet.

I think my teacher seemed very knowlegable about the stuff he was teaching, and I?m quite pleased with how it turned out.

Hi Mervione,

What fun! So much to learn, huh! Thanks for sharing your experiences.

I don't have anything to offer on this thread, except I finally bought Lindstrom pliers this year--wish I had done it earlier, they are great!

Last edited by a moderator:
To help with the sawing, never apply forward pressure while bringing the frame upwards. We tend to hold on tigh doing this, which makes the hand cramp. Next use slower and even pressure on the downstroke. The weight of the frame will help a lot and you don't need to hang on as tight. When doing corners use the bottom portion of the blade and just use about a couple of inches of it going up and down. Trick to corners is small strokes and slow. Too many people until they get use to the sawing, try to hurry the process. Take it slow and concentrate on not holding the frame in a death grip. Rest your piece against the bench pin. There are usually holes in the bench that allows you to etierh pull out a flat board or add on to the bench to rest your arms on. This also helps. Next you will get back aches. Of all things a good sports bra that is long bodied helped me. It kept me more straight while doing work at the bench. Guys have to fiogure their own solution out. We did the paper thing while learning, then I got so I would just draw on the pieve with a sharpie or scribe the lines on it. YOu do what is most comfortable and works for you. Never be afraid to take classes. Each teacher will have different tips and tricks for you. Education is never wasted. There are many here I've learned who also have good tips and tricks as well. Just ask. There is no stupid question, just the unasked ones.

Don't use any metal for your pickle pot. it should be of ceramic or glass. You can even use a hot plate and a tempered glass beaker or coffee caraf. The muriatic acid that you can get from a swimming pool supply is a weak hydrocloric acid solution and it will eat organics like cotton, wool, leather (shoes) skin (yours). I used to use sulfuric acid but my shoe bill was too high from the drops that I splashed occasionally. Pickling compounds made for jewelry, though still a bit corrosive, are much safer and still do a good job.

I really think that with all the questions you have, you will be well served to buy a good introductory jewelry making book. The two that I used most when I started were written by people with the names of Morton and Von Neuman. Not sure if they're still available but, except for their instructions on lost wax casting, they were very helpful. Try Amazon.

Marc

Last edited:
There is a website called ganoksin, which is for jewelers and metalsmiths that you might want to take a look at.

Gail

I would concur Gail's recommendation of the ganoksin website as a source of info for anyone interested in metalsmithing. This website is a revolution in open sharing of info regarding all aspects of metalsmithing right from the beginner questions to the expert looking for a specific piece info.

DFrey

Back