Should I buy this? Natural White Hanadama Akoya Pearl Necklace?

As you say, the price is very good now. If you have wanted them for a long time, and that's the size you want, go for it. That is the most common size sold for akoya pearls. Certainly a classic strand.

I do not own hanadama pearls. My akoyas are a vintage graduated strand (6.2-9mm) and a baroque akoya strand (9.5-10.0mm). However, my favorite pearls are my Tahitians, golden south sea and white south sea. I have come to prefer larger pearls as I've gotten older. So my only "con" is the tendency of us pearl lovers to acquire Pearl Shrinkage Syndrome. :rolleyes:

The next size up, 7.5-8.0mm, seems to be only a few hundred dollars more, but they will be visibly larger. If you think you'd like larger pearls, consider that size...but be aware that they will fit just a bit snugger than the 7.0-7.5mm. It might matter since you are getting a 16 inch strand, depending on your neck size.

As you say, the price is very good now. If you have wanted them for a long time, and that's the size you want, go for it. That is the most common size sold for akoya pearls. Certainly a classic strand.

I do not own hanadama pearls. My akoyas are a vintage graduated strand (6.2-9mm) and a baroque akoya strand (9.5-10.0mm). However, my favorite pearls are my Tahitians, golden south sea and white south sea. I have come to prefer larger pearls as I've gotten older. So my only "con" is the tendency of us pearl lovers to acquire Pearl Shrinkage Syndrome. :rolleyes:

The next size up, 7.5-8.0mm, seems to be only a few hundred dollars more, but they will be visibly larger. If you think you'd like larger pearls, consider that size...but be aware that they will fit just a bit snugger than the 7.0-7.5mm. It might matter since you are getting a 16 inch strand, depending on your neck size.

I don't think I'll like larger pearls. I'm 30, would they be too small for me? Do you think I should go a size up? Thank you for your insight! It's very helpful!

This is really a matter of personal taste. And as I said, 7.0-7.5mm is the classic and most-often-sold size. If you like it, get it. :)

If you love pearls, odds are that won't be the last strand you buy, anyway. ;)

If you end up wanting a more substantial look as you get older, you can always layer them at the time.

Back