Setting Pearl Post Earrings

P

pearltime

Hi all!

I guess this is a ridiculous question but,
How do the rest of you set pearl post earrings? I find it hard to attach the post to the pearl without getting glue on the rest of the pearl. If the hole in the pearl is small then sometimes you have to roll the pearl until you find the hole, which can take forever. By the time the hole is found, glue is all over the pearl.
Will the setting hold if you wash the glue off the pearl?
Who would think a simple design could be so difficult.

Thanks in advance, Karen

I find the best way to set earrings is to use a stick-board to hold the pearl in place. I place the pearls top down, with the hole sticking straight up. Then, the glue only goes on the post, never the pearl. If you hold the post an angle of about 60 degrees, you will be able to get a drop of the glue only on the post without it making contact with the cup. This is the only trick. If it contacts the cup it will immediately disperse and cover the entire inner area, and you will have excess glue. The drop size is perfected with practice.

After you have the perfect drop hanging from the post, quickly and carefully insert it into the hole and press. The glue should bond very quickly (especially if you are using Vigor). After a few seconds let go and leave the pearl in its position for a few minutes.

This works well for smaller pearls such as Akoya and freshwater, and when you are doing a large number of pearls. In this method I can typically do a sheet of 12 pairs in about 10 minutes.

If using larger pearls, such as Tahitian or South Sea, I also use the stick-board, but I pick up the pearl when I am ready to attach it to the post. I use a lot more pressure in the larger pearls, as I am also using a larger post. But the method and glue application is the same.

And what is a "stick board"? Sorry to show my ignorance.
DFrey

That is just what we call it in the office. Not sure if there is a "trade name" for it.
When you purchase matched pairs of pearls to create earrings (typically only when purchasing freshwater), they come in a strip matched as pairs. This is simply a heavy stock paper with holes punched out and tape on the back. The pearls are held in place by the tape, and if you flip them over you have a hole sticking straight up.

Thanks Jeremy! You have it down pat. I guess it only takes brains to figure these things out.:D

Thanks again!
Karen

Back