seller says are Akoya. True?

thank you everyone. That was helpful. You're right. I didn't see the responses until now. I guess I didn't know how postings work. I'm learning :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think pearls generally don't hold their value for resale purposes, unless they are are historically significant.

Pearls are like cars :) The only way you might get some value out of pearls is by getting very good at judging them and then pick up used ones others have missed at low end auctions or thrift stores. Add to that the skill of making your own pieces and then sell them in a country where prices are higher than where you bought them.

As everyone says, akoya wear out as the layer of nacre is very thin. If I look closely, I can see where a chip of nacre is missing at one of the holes of the vintage akoya I bought two years ago - and they had never been used. Only I can see it and I still love them, but I'm glad I didn't pay thousands of dollars for them.

- Karin

I think pearls generally don't hold their value for resale purposes, unless they are are historically significant.

Just talking about vintage akoyas, strands with plain clasps often sell on eBay for very reasonable prices, similar pearls with premium clasps sell for several times more and brand name pearls sell for (what I consider) ridiculous amounts.

and brand name pearls sell for (what I consider) ridiculous amounts.

But they were usually bought for even more ridiculous amounts, weren't they? And so do not hold their value.

- Karin

Pearly Lady, looks like you're having some success in your search. This is probably a hectic time, but if you're able to post a picture when you get your pearls, that would be great. Best wishes for a long and happy marriage.

I do love 'vintage' :)

- Karin

Karin, one of these days I hope to figure out how to be smarter than my camera and post better pictures of my vintage items in the Show Us Your Pearls thread. Since that could take a while I thought I'd just quickly share this mourning pin.

Picture 021.jpgPicture 013.jpgPicture 015.jpg

Pearly Lady, looks like you're having some success in your search. This is probably a hectic time, but if you're able to post a picture when you get your pearls, that would be great. Best wishes for a long and happy marriage.

Karin, one of these days I hope to figure out how to be smarter than my camera and post better pictures of my vintage items in the Show Us Your Pearls thread. Since that could take a while I thought I'd just quickly share this mourning pin.

View attachment 21073View attachment 21074View attachment 21075

Thank you Bacca :) I'll post when I buy them.

Karin, that pin is lovely!!! I love antique pieces in general. If I knew what I was doing, I wouldn't mind buying antique "gem grade" freshwater. Is there such a thing? Maybe that's a different thread... I don't like the modern looking clasps.

Thank you Bacca :) I'll post when I buy them.

Karin, that pin is lovely!!! I love antique pieces in general. If I knew what I was doing, I wouldn't mind buying antique "gem grade" freshwater. Is there such a thing? Maybe that's a different thread... I don't like the modern looking clasps and even the standard filagree ones at PP are too bland looking for me. Maybe I should just try to find an antique clasp somewhere else???

I'm afraid the pin belongs to Bacca - envy... You sound like you'll be part of the lovely beader's club once the wedding is in place :) You will be most welcome. Talking of clasps I still have a costume one from my mother I would love to use. Only thing is it's a five-strander and I haven't gotten any where near even getting the pearls.

- Karin

I love antique pieces in general. If I knew what I was doing, I wouldn't mind buying antique "gem grade" freshwater. Is there such a thing? Maybe that's a different thread... I don't like the modern looking clasps.

One of the advantages of vintage akoyas is that the layer of nacre is thicker. Since tissue nucleated cultured freshwater pearls are mostly nacre anyway, age doesn't provide that benefit. You can find some information about the history of Chinese cultured pearls here. At this point in your pearl career, it would probably be easier to just select one of the clasp styles on the site where you buy your pearls. That way you'll know you're getting one that's appropriate for your necklace.

Thanks, everyone, for the nice comments on the pin.

Back